Briggs and Stratton 15.5 HP 28Q777 replacement??

/ Briggs and Stratton 15.5 HP 28Q777 replacement?? #1  

ss4010

Silver Member
Tractor
BobCat CT230
Hi,

It looks like the engine on my Toro riding mower has given up the ghost. Essentially it starts and then gushes oil from the crank case into the carb through the crank case vent. I pulled the cam shaft cover and found that the exhaust valve appears to not open nearly as much as the fuel (causing excessive back pressure in the crankcase). Also the head gasket is blown between the cylinder and the crankcase. The model engine is 28Q777 Type 0690-E1 Code 990503ZE. Online I read that there was a defect in manf. of these Briggs engines. So I figure to try a new head gasket but do not want to throw good money after bad. So in the end it looks like a replacement motor may be in order.

I hope not to repeat the same thing a few years down the road. IE I'm leary about the Briggs design and reliability. I noticed that Kohler has a similar Courage engine out there but I hear rumors that that uses a Nylon camshaft?

Essentially I'm looking for a 1"Dia Vertical Shaft engine with a 3 5/32" long shaft around the 15-20 HP range for a replacement and would like advice / comments on model recommendations.

There seem to be quite a few single cylinder engines out there in the $500 dollar range that would do the job. Is it worth the extra $ to go multi cylinder?

Of course I'd love to do something like put a small Diesel engine in the riding mower but there does not appear to be anything suitable out there. I'd be willing to pony up considerably more for a diesel option just for the novelty and efficiency.

The other option is to scrap the machine entirely...

Thoughts???

Thanks,

Steve

/ Briggs and Stratton 15.5 HP 28Q777 replacement?? #2  
My thoughts... For starters, check your valve clearances against specs. If it's simply an adjustment to the valve, then a new head gasket is probably the best idea. (I.e. the bad valve may have blown the head gasket.)

If your engine is not salvagable, it's probably not worth the new engine, but it may be worth getting a used engine.

Around here I can usually get a good running used mower for about $500. You'll pay almost that for a new replacement engine by the time you figure shipping. E-bay often has used engines for cheaper.

If you keep your eyes open and watch the classifieds, craigslist, and people's front yards, you can sometimes get a steal on a broke down unit. You may be able to get a similar model to yours and make a good one out of the various parts.

I think diesel would be cool, but I haven't seen a vertical shaft diesel engine. It would take a lot of modification to retrofit.

I think what it really comes down to is how much you like the mower. If you really like the rest of it, you may be happier fixing it back up.

/ Briggs and Stratton 15.5 HP 28Q777 replacement?? #3  
If you have already pulled the engine off yours, measure the shaft diameter,the length of it, the size or width of the keyway, and basically any engine with those sizes should work. Also check the mounting bolts holes to the frame diameter, from center to center. zman