new 300 series or older gx or 400 series

/ new 300 series or older gx or 400 series #1  

ktm250rider

Silver Member
Im looking to get a mower, finally. I need at least a 48" cut, bigger would be nice. Also, must have a power flow type bagger. We looked at a 99 345 with 500 hrs. Was in nice shape but it didnt have a bagger. Price was $3000. The misses didnt like driving around (this was the first one and it was only 30 minutes from the house) so she mentioned getting a new one. A 340 with a power flow would be around 5 grand according to the deere website. I found a 445 with an mc519 about 3 hours away with 800 hours listed for $4900 at a dealer.
Im torn between the 400 series tractor that could spin a 60" deck and a new warrantied smaller tractor. I think the older series, even the 345 are better built than the new x series.

/ new 300 series or older gx or 400 series #2  
I think the older series, even the 345 are better built than the new x series.

You answered your own question with this statement. The older Deeres are better machines in my opinion. The 445 has a liquid cooled Kawasaki engine which is great or if you can find a 455 with the Yanmar diesel you will save money on fuel costs (it sips fuel). I would keep looking used especially if you work on your own stuff (buy the service manual...worth its weight in gold). Even if you get new with a warranty it may still have problems and you may end up taking in and wasting time with service. You can also look at the LT models or maybe even the larger LX models.

/ new 300 series or older gx or 400 series
Yeah, just looking for supporting comments on my decision. The 345 is also liquid cooled. I think the LX and LT are too small. The GT would probably be the smallest Id like to go. I think I might take the chance on the 445 and give the dealer a call on Monday.
Oh BTW, what is with dealers having limited hours on the weekend? Most are open until 2 and closed on sundays.

So if they are asking $4900 what would be a good amount to offer them?

/ new 300 series or older gx or 400 series #5  
A newer used GX345 would also have the benefit of diff. lock over the older units - something to think about.

THe lot is flat, I dont think Id need the diff lock.

/ new 300 series or older gx or 400 series #8  
You won't be disappointed with an older 300 series, provided it has been reasonable maintained.

/ new 300 series or older gx or 400 series #9  
The 4X5 machines also had diff lock on them. It's one of those options that you don't need until you need it. Sure beats pushing a 600# G/T out of the ditch that looked dry before you sank the drive wheel in the mud.

If you are looking newer than '98 you should be past the plastic cam gear in the 425 and 445 gas Kawaski engines. The Yanmar diesel is all steel inside.

/ new 300 series or older gx or 400 series #10  
So if they are asking $4900 what would be a good amount to offer them?

Last spring my Son bought a 455 diesel w/60" deck, 3pt and 600 hrs for $4500. Seems the 445 gas sells a little better, guess people shy away from Diesel. Personally I won't go back to a gas mowing tractor.