Log splitter engine won't start

/ Log splitter engine won't start #1  

brin

Georgia - Mt. Vernon by The Store just 5 miles eas
I have a stand alone log splitter I bought from Northern a few years ago and it was running fine last year but now has been sitting with 1/2 tank of gas for a year and will not start...fuel comes out of the fuel line to the carb. bowl when I took it off but when I take the needle valve out of the bottom of the carb bowl I get no fuel...at first I thought it was a clogged line but the lines are clear and fuel is flowing but is not getting into the bowl...any help appreciated.:)

/ Log splitter engine won't start #2  
hello sounds like there is dried up fuel in fuel ports. did u take carb off and blow out all ports? ive had same prob from time to time now i run gas out after season.

/ Log splitter engine won't start
Thanks sal, I'll see if I can get the carb off and try that...the lines are clear but the opening at the sediment bowl must be clogged since no fuel flows when I take the needle valve at the bottom of the bowl out..

/ Log splitter engine won't start #4  
Are you talking about the fuel needle seat that closes off the fuel with the float, or something in the bottom of the carb bowl? There is a jet in the bottom of the bowl, and the fuel shut off in the top of the carb.

Are you talking about the fuel needle seat that closes off the fuel with the float, or something in the bottom of the carb bowl? There is a jet in the bottom of the bowl, and the fuel shut off in the top of the carb.
JJ, It is a tapered long screw, comes to a point, with a spring around it that screws into the bottom of the carb bowl. When I took that screw out no fuel flowed out, yet when I took the fuel line loose that goes into the side of the bowl the fuel was flowing freely so the fuel lines are clear , I just wanted to eliminate some possibilities before I started trying to take apart the carb, which is not one of my strong points..LOL...any thoughts ?

/ Log splitter engine won't start #6  
Hi! The long tapered screw with spring is the main jet. no fuel is correct. Remove the bowl with float down fuel must flow a lot. The main jet must be adjusted screw at stop unscrew about two turns Good Luck! Oldmech

/ Log splitter engine won't start #7  
When you take the bowl off, fuel should start flowing. If it doesn't, the fuel needle valve that is operated by the float is stuck . You will have to free the needle plunger, and clean with carb cleaner. Spray into the the fuel inlet and through the needle valve side.

Here is what I did to get it running...I emptied the gas tank completely, then I took the air cleaner off and squirted wd-40 ( a good amount in the carb ), I disconnected gas line and drained and ran wd-40 through it, I removed the spark plug and cleaned it with some sandpaper, put a cap full of gas into the cylinder head and replaced the plug, then filled the gas tank and added a little stp. I pulled the cord and it started on the first pull. It sure wouldn't start before all that...thanks JJ , sal and oldmech for the tips...that wd-40 is good stuff...that and duct tape. I couldn't figure out what to use duct tape for on this job..LOL

Last edited: