Georgia - Mt. Vernon by The Store just 5 miles east and right by the big oak tree then to the creek.

Default Log splitter engine won't start

I have a stand alone log splitter I bought from Northern a few years ago and it was running fine last year but now has been sitting with 1/2 tank of gas for a year and will not start...fuel comes out of the fuel line to the carb. bowl when I took it off but when I take the needle valve out of the bottom of the carb bowl I get no fuel...at first I thought it was a clogged line but the lines are clear and fuel is flowing but is not getting into the bowl...any help appreciated.
    Bob

WORRYING does not take away tomorrow's TROUBLES, it takes away today's PEACE.

NH - TC-29 , FEL, Bush hog, Bush hog brand finishing mower, Post hole digger, 6' Back blade, sub-soiler, Pallet forks, 20KW PTO Generator , 21 hp Murray Mower
    JD -3020 with FEL and a 16 HP. K-Grow Lawn Tractor (bought from K Mart 1994) and runs great !
    Clark 130 EN Mig Welder

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    jd 2320 jd 990 jd950

Default Re: Log splitter engine won't start

hello sounds like there is dried up fuel in fuel ports. did u take carb off and blow out all ports? ive had same prob from time to time now i run gas out after season.

Georgia - Mt. Vernon by The Store just 5 miles east and right by the big oak tree then to the creek.

Thanks sal, I'll see if I can get the carb off and try that...the lines are clear but the opening at the sediment bowl must be clogged since no fuel flows when I take the needle valve at the bottom of the bowl out..
    Bob

NH - TC-29 , FEL, Bush hog, Bush hog brand finishing mower, Post hole digger, 6' Back blade, sub-soiler, Pallet forks, 20KW PTO Generator , 21 hp Murray Mower
    JD -3020 with FEL and a 16 HP. K-Grow Lawn Tractor (bought from K Mart 1994) and runs great !
    Clark 130 EN Mig Welder

Tractor
    Power-Trac 1445, KUBOTA B-9200HST

Are you talking about the fuel needle seat that closes off the fuel with the float, or something in the bottom of the carb bowl? There is a jet in the bottom of the bowl, and the fuel shut off in the top of the carb.
    J.J.

When I works, I works hard. When I sits and thinks, I goes to sleep.

Git er done.

Quote Originally Posted by J_J View Post
    Are you talking about the fuel needle seat that closes off the fuel with the float, or something in the bottom of the carb bowl? There is a jet in the bottom of the bowl, and the fuel shut off in the top of the carb.
    JJ, It is a tapered long screw, comes to a point, with a spring around it that screws into the bottom of the carb bowl. When I took that screw out no fuel flowed out, yet when I took the fuel line loose that goes into the side of the bowl the fuel was flowing freely so the fuel lines are clear , I just wanted to eliminate some possibilities before I started trying to take apart the carb, which is not one of my strong points..LOL...any thoughts ?
    Bob

Clark 130 EN Mig Welder

Gold Member
    Tractor
    Two Gravely Two L One with 10 h.p Dek-Diesel engine one Grillo 107d and one BCS 735 diesel

Hi! The long tapered screw with spring is the main jet. no fuel is correct. Remove the bowl with float down fuel must flow a lot. The main jet must be adjusted screw at stop unscrew about two turns Good Luck! Oldmech

Tractor
    Power-Trac 1445, KUBOTA B-9200HST

When you take the bowl off, fuel should start flowing. If it doesn't, the fuel needle valve that is operated by the float is stuck . You will have to free the needle plunger, and clean with carb cleaner. Spray into the the fuel inlet and through the needle valve side.
    J.J.

When I works, I works hard. When I sits and thinks, I goes to sleep.

Git er done.

Here is what I did to get it running...I emptied the gas tank completely, then I took the air cleaner off and squirted wd-40 ( a good amount in the carb ), I disconnected gas line and drained and ran wd-40 through it, I removed the spark plug and cleaned it with some sandpaper, put a cap full of gas into the cylinder head and replaced the plug, then filled the gas tank and added a little stp. I pulled the cord and it started on the first pull. It sure wouldn't start before all that...thanks JJ , sal and oldmech for the tips...that wd-40 is good stuff...that and duct tape. I couldn't figure out what to use duct tape for on this job..LOL
    Last edited by brin; 10-11-2009 at 12:48 PM. Reason: typo
    Bob

Clark 130 EN Mig Welder