Tractor
    2001 John Deere 790 4x4, bar tires

Default Ryobi string trimmers - replacing line????

I just bought a Ryobi TP30 which is a 30cc 2-stroke tree pruner with the Expand It feature from a seller on craigslist. It also included a string trimmer and hedge trimmer attachments. The unit cranks up and runs just fine. The string trimmer does have a minor glitch with the bump feed for the string. The plastic bolt seems to be really stuck. It looks like there is an arrow pointing in the direction to remove it so you can add line to the spool but the arrow is too worn down to tell for sure the correct direction. Can someone with a Ryobi straight shaft trimmer tell me should it turn CW or CCW to loosen the plastic bump feed nut so I can remove the spool and add line? Thanks!
    Nothing could be finer than riding my JD790 in South Carolina!!

2001 John Deere 790 4x4 with Model 70 FEL, 5ft International World Agritech bush hog, 5ft Wallberg BB, 5ft Frontier disc harrow, 5ft King Kutter II Rototiller, 5ft Cultipacker, 5ft Sitrex finish mower, Leinbach PHD with 9" & 12" augers, Leinbach middlebuster, Leinbach #11 Field Cultivator, boom pole, custom 3pt handi-hitch, clamp on bucket forks, Pat's Easy Change.

Nothing runs like a Deere, or smells like a John....

Texas - from the brush and pear to the piney woods
    Tractor
    John Deere 110 TLB

Default Re: Ryobi string trimmers - replacing line????

I don't have a Ryobi but I can't resist - "plastic bolt" - that's gotta be the main problem right there.

Tractor

Well, I say plastic bolt for lack of a better way to describe it. It's the standard rounded plastic shroud that is ATTACHED to a metal bolt that holds the spool on. I know you've seen how most bump feed string trimmers are made. Well, this one is pretty much like all the rest. I just need to know which to turn the METAL bolt to get it off.
    Thanks

2001 John Deere 790 4x4 with Model 70 FEL, 5ft International World Agritech bush hog, 5ft Wallberg BB, 5ft Frontier disc harrow, 5ft King Kutter II Rototiller, 5ft Cultipacker, 5ft Sitrex finish mower, Leinbach PHD with 9" & 12" augers, Leinbach middlebuster, Leinbach #11 Field Cultivator, boom pole, custom 3pt handi-hitch, clamp on bucket forks, Pat's Easy Change.

2006 JD 3320 PowrReverser w/ 300cx Loader, 61" HD Bucket w/ Toothbar, Horst Fixed Forks, IMatch, Ballast Box, Filled R4's, Vertical Exhaust, Warning Light Brush Guards, Auxiliary Forward Lighting Kit, Rear Work Light, 68" Ratchet Rake, & a Woods PRD7200 Finish Mower
    2004 JD Gator 6x4
    67' Gravely L8
    69' Gravely 432
    75' Gravely 810
    77' Gravely Professional 5460
    81' Gravely 8173-KT
    99' Gravely 20-G
    06' Ram 3500 DRW 4x4 5.9 Cummins

Tractor

Nope, that's not like the one I have but will still check out the manual. Thanks.

The plastic covered metal bolt will most likely tighten when the machine is running so it will come out the opposite direction. The arrow is likely for line direction.

Epic Contributor
    R.I.P.
    Tractor
    NHTC45D, NH LB75B, Ford Jubilee

From the user manual: Turn the knob clockwise to loosen on SS30 and BC30 trimmers. Turn the knob counterclockwise on the CS30. (SS= Straight Shaft, BC= Brush Cutter, and CS= Curved Shaft)

The plastic is just a knob attached to a bolt. It has reverse threads. If you can't turn it by hand, use some channel lock pliers for a better grip. I believe the arrow is the direction you wind the string on the spool rather than the way the spool rotates.

I found a free Ryobi string trimmer user manual online: It says for CS30, but the manual includes SS and BC types.

Ryobi User Manual
    Last edited by jinman; 10-24-2009 at 11:32 AM.
    Jim

Tractor

Ok, got it off. Took it to a small engine shop and let the guy there do it. It turns CW to remove on the trimmer shaft that I have. Thanks!