Ryobi string trimmers - replacing line????

/ Ryobi string trimmers - replacing line???? #1  

kebo

Elite Member
Tractor
2001 John Deere 790 4x4, bar tires
I just bought a Ryobi TP30 which is a 30cc 2-stroke tree pruner with the Expand It feature from a seller on craigslist. It also included a string trimmer and hedge trimmer attachments. The unit cranks up and runs just fine. The string trimmer does have a minor glitch with the bump feed for the string. The plastic bolt seems to be really stuck. It looks like there is an arrow pointing in the direction to remove it so you can add line to the spool but the arrow is too worn down to tell for sure the correct direction. Can someone with a Ryobi straight shaft trimmer tell me should it turn CW or CCW to loosen the plastic bump feed nut so I can remove the spool and add line? Thanks!

/ Ryobi string trimmers - replacing line????
Well, I say plastic bolt for lack of a better way to describe it. It's the standard rounded plastic shroud that is ATTACHED to a metal bolt that holds the spool on. I know you've seen how most bump feed string trimmers are made. Well, this one is pretty much like all the rest. I just need to know which to turn the METAL bolt to get it off.
Thanks

Nope, that's not like the one I have but will still check out the manual. Thanks.

/ Ryobi string trimmers - replacing line???? #6  
The plastic covered metal bolt will most likely tighten when the machine is running so it will come out the opposite direction. The arrow is likely for line direction.

/ Ryobi string trimmers - replacing line???? #7  
From the user manual: Turn the knob clockwise to loosen on SS30 and BC30 trimmers. Turn the knob counterclockwise on the CS30. (SS= Straight Shaft, BC= Brush Cutter, and CS= Curved Shaft)

The plastic is just a knob attached to a bolt. It has reverse threads. If you can't turn it by hand, use some channel lock pliers for a better grip. I believe the arrow is the direction you wind the string on the spool rather than the way the spool rotates.

I found a free Ryobi string trimmer user manual online: It says for CS30, but the manual includes SS and BC types.

Ryobi User Manual

Last edited:
Ok, got it off. Took it to a small engine shop and let the guy there do it. It turns CW to remove on the trimmer shaft that I have. Thanks!