Poulan 42" won't cut even

/ Poulan 42" won't cut even #1  

Kfbeal

Gold Member
Tractor
2005 JD 5103
We purchased a Poulan 18.5 hp 42" cut mower 2 years ago (2 blades). It hasn't cut even since we bought it and I told the store we bought it from that also. I recently replaced the spindle housing on one side because it was broke thinking that was the reason it cut un-even.

Even after replacing the spindle housing it still cuts un-even. Any ideas? It drives me nuts because I want our yard even.

I've put the blades tip to tip and they appear to be even but it looks like a 1/2" difference on cut. Could it be that I need to adjust the desk height on one side? I raised one side but haven't had to mow since.

This is driving me nuts.

/ Poulan 42" won't cut even #2  
We purchased a Poulan 18.5 hp 42" cut mower 2 years ago (2 blades). It hasn't cut even since we bought it and I told the store we bought it from that also. I recently replaced the spindle housing on one side because it was broke thinking that was the reason it cut un-even.

Even after replacing the spindle housing it still cuts un-even. Any ideas? It drives me nuts because I want our yard even.

I've put the blades tip to tip and they appear to be even but it looks like a 1/2" difference on cut. Could it be that I need to adjust the desk height on one side? I raised one side but haven't had to mow since.

This is driving me nuts.

Stop by your local John Deere dealer and purchase a deck height adjustment tool. The tool cost less than $10.00. You can then correctly measure the cutting height of each blade at the tip. Measure from three locations, front, rear and end then adjust the deck height to achieve the same measurements for each side.

/ Poulan 42" won't cut even #3  
Raise the deck wheels. Set the height at something like 2½" (makes measuring under the deck easier).
Check the air for the right air pressure before making deck measurements. Then with the tool Gator6x4 suggests, adjust the deck so the blades at far left and far right are the same. Then adjust the fore and aft blade heights so the fore (front) is about 1/4" lower than the aft (rear). Then adjust the deck wheels if there are any.

Edit: be sure neither blade is bent, as that will give you an uneven height to the grass easily.

Last edited:
   / Poulan 42" won't cut even
WTF, there's a tool for this? lol

Thanks for that info. It appears the blades are straight and this is the second set of blades, I put Gator blades on there due to the thickness to prevent bending.

We got 3" of rain today so I won't be mowing for a while now, but will look into that.

Any ideas what this tool looks like?

/ Poulan 42" won't cut even #5  
The tool is a heavy plastic protractor sort of thing with an adjustable arm on it, roughly 9" long by maybe 4" high and makes the job MUCH easier to check blade height.

/ Poulan 42" won't cut even #6  
If you look in the owners manual it usually details the procedure for your tractor in there. It's usually as easy as measuring from the blade to the ground and adjusting some bolts.

Steve

/ Poulan 42" won't cut even #7  
I believe, and correct me if I am wrong, but the Poulan is made by the same manufacturer as the Craftsman. On mine, I found I had broken a lifting rod and it too causes a higher cut on one side than the other on my 42".

I replaced it. $13 from parts direct. A couple weeks later, I broke another. errrrgh! Anyhow, I haven't broken any since. Seems like they snap if you hit a stump, a curb or most anything. You probably have already checked this.