oil filter for p218

/ oil filter for p218 #1  

csr0831

Silver Member
Ok Guys....I know this has probably been asked and anwsered...maybe several times, but here goes. I have an onan p218, went to change the oil and found that I don't have anyof the onan filters on han...sooo....I used a Fram 3600. The mount appears to be the same, it's just a little longer....does anyone know if that filter perhaps causes more (or less) back pressure on the pump? Engine has got almost 1300 hours on it...I sure would hate to screw it up now : )

/ oil filter for p218 #2  
What is this Onan in? Might get an oil filter from whatever dealer the tractor is, like Deere, Ingersol, etc. I have no idea if the Fram you have is compatible.

/ oil filter for p218
It's in a mid 80's vintage Gravely 4 wheel tractor. My thinking (allbit possibly flawed) was that this filter was created for an automoble engine, it certianly should be good enough for a small engine like this. However, after thinking about it, I wonder of the filter element may be TOO fine for the pump in the Onan to develop enough post filter pressure.

/ oil filter for p218 #4  
I can answer half your question. Wix calls for a 51374 oil fliter on your P218. It is rated at 25 microns. Here are the specs: Part Detail

Fram does not have a listing for a 3600 oil filter on their website so I can't compare them for you. If you can locate the Fram filter information you'll have your answer.

/ oil filter for p218 #5  
Fram does not have a listing for a 3600
It would be a PH/TG/XG 3600, which will physically fit, along with a host of others (PH 3614, MotorCraft FL400, Purolator L10241, etc..), but there are some mixed signals coming from the WIX and Fram sites. It'd sure be nice to know the OEM Onan filter number, to cross reference at the WIX or Fram site.

/ oil filter for p218 #6  
It would be a PH/TG/XG 3600, which will physically fit, along with a host of others (PH 3614, MotorCraft FL400, Purolator L10241, etc..), but there are some mixed signals coming from the WIX and Fram sites. It'd sure be nice to know the OEM Onan filter number, to cross reference at the WIX or Fram site.

Not sure about the P218. But the Onan P216 shares the same filter with a 1989 Chevrolet K2500 w/ 350 engine. I would suspect that the P218 is the same.