Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Bronze Member

Default Kohler Courage

I see that if you buy the lower end riding mowers that they come with a Kohler Courage series engine. I would prefer the Command series and know nothing about the Courage series. How good are they?

Platinum Member

Default Re: Kohler Courage

It is a Chinese made Kohler. I have one on my push mower. It was great this year which is the first year I have used it.

Bronze Member

Bruce, The push mower Courage is Chinese, but all the others in lawn and garden tractors are Kohler USA, built in Hattiesburg,MS

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    tc- 29d

Only problem I have seen is the flywheel key shearing problem. The engine has lower engine hour life as compared to the command engine
    dqdave1; tc-29D; woods 7500 bh; 7308 fel, land pride tiller, land pride rake, gill pulverizer, 60"mmm. , bucket forks , MZ16H

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Kubota B7300

Some of the Command series have heads that are held on with four head bolts, and have an issue with blowing head gaskets if the torquing sequence is not done just so. (I've replaced head gaskets on my 27 HP Command at 80 hours). The courage series (I have a 17 HP on my Cub Cadet zero turn) have six head bolts and are more forgiving.

Just my personal observations. . . .
    Steve

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Ford 1210 / Ford 1710

I have a 21 hp Courage in a Toro ZTR. I have read many bad things about the Courage but most of this info comes from commercial guys.

Mine was using some oil until I realized the air filter was dirty. After changing that it quit using oil. If it lasts only 700 - 800 hours that will be many years of service at my 50 hours per year rate.

To me it boils down to good maintenance will give it a decently long life.

Bronze Member

If you were to compare a B&S engine to it, what engine will it be?
    I have to say that I never wore out a lawn mower engine. I am anus about doing oil changes, air filters, spark plugs and keeping a sharp blade. I always use fresh fuel and a fuel stablizer. I guess it should be no reason why this engine should not last me.

Tractor
    Toro 460

I bought a Toro with a Kohler Courage 20 hp. At 230 hours the head cracked.
    I was told it was made in China and cheaper metal is used.

Quote Originally Posted by bg1984 View Post
    I bought a Toro with a Kohler Courage 20 hp. At 230 hours the head cracked.
    I was told it was made in China and cheaper metal is used.
    Ouch, two months ago I bought a little Toro ZTR with the 15 hp Kohler Courage engine. The dealer had to do some adjusting to get the control levers close to the same so you don't have to have one lever pushed farther forward than than the other to go straight. And it would frequently die when you pulled the two levers together to go. They now have an electric brake which I consider completely unnecessary. Anyway, a couple of new rods for that and smoothing a burr off one fixed that problem. Then Sunday I mowed the yard and put it away. A few minutes later, I went out there and found some oil had dripped under it. So yesterday I took it back to the dealer and went and got it today. Just the oil filter had started leaking and I don't understand why it was OK for 10 hours, felt very tight, but started leaking at 11 hours. Anyway, I found that the boss man was the one who worked on it himself yesterday evening, and then took a day off today so I didn't get to ask him about it.

But it's a powerful little sucker and can mow foot high grass and weeds with no hesitation. Of course it's got a 3 year warranty, so I'll hope for the best.
    Bird

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    KIOTI DK45S

a few years ago kohler had problems with oil filters. the filter manufacturer was using oil to ease the insertion of the seal in the top of the filter and the oil was getting trapped. when the filter was installed the filter would tighten properly but when run the oil below the seal would get warm and then flow out of the seal area causing the filter to then be loose and leak oil,

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast