Hand warmers on a snowblower?

/ Hand warmers on a snowblower? #1  

Lickity Split

Tractor
MF65, Toro Groundsmaster 72
I have a older ( 10 years old) John Deere 828 snow blower, with a 8hp Tecumseh engine on it.
It is 110 volt electric start (no battery) and it has a head light that comes on when the engine is started.
Can I get a set of hand warmers like on a snowmobile, and wire them into the head light?
I was looking at a set from Dennis Kirk made by Polly the specs say the light system was to be 75 watts or better.
How do I tell how many watts my light system is?
Thanks Lickity Split

/ Hand warmers on a snowblower? #3  
75 watt handwarmers may be a bit of a task for your engine. What motor do you have (HMSK80)? Later OHV motors had higher output coils that could handle handwarmers and lights.

/ Hand warmers on a snowblower? #4  
I might buy the chemical hand warmers that fit inside your gloves. Very toasty lasting 6 to 8 hrs. and likely alot cheaper/easier than retro fitting electric mounted handle warmers.

I have an older (pre-MTD buy out) Troy Built snow blower. Unit is equipped with control handle warmers. All time on/electrical operation, with engine running.

I would expect most MTD mower/parts dealer could still order the necessary retro parts for handle warmers. My unit has wiring routed inside the handle tubes, offering good protection.
Hope this helps.

/ Hand warmers on a snowblower? #5  
I would expect most MTD mower/parts dealer could still order the necessary retro parts for handle warmers. My unit has wiring routed inside the handle tubes, offering good protection.
Hope this helps.

The machines I have seen have had a single wire coming from berhind the flywheel if they are headlight only and two wires (one heavy, one light) if it was setup for lights and handwarmers.

Aaron Z