Dumb thing to do....

/ Dumb thing to do.... #1  

kebo

Elite Member
Tractor
2001 John Deere 790 4x4, bar tires
I saw this ad on Craigslist. Guy was selling his nice rider for a mere $85 bucks, but there's a reason. Yeah, we all do dumb things from time to time, but I haven't come close to this one....yet! :)

quote:

42" cut Huskee needs motor. Everything else very good condition. Also has fairly new battery. As usual, I change the oil in Nov. but after draining, I didn't have any on the shelf. When March arrived, I forgot I hadn't replaced the oil. Thus, I blew the 20 HP twin Briggs & Stratton motor. Duh!

Last edited:
   / Dumb thing to do.... #2  
At least he's honest.

/ Dumb thing to do.... #3  
One of the cars I run is a Renault Clio 172 Sport: Every second year it enjoys a change of oil: disgustingly expensive 5W40 synthetic wateryness..

Last year after draining the oil from a nice hot engine and putting the new filter on, I excitedly poured the oil in... and realised I'd not yet plugged the sump. :eek:

I lost about a pint... and suffered a badly burned finger as I plugged the sump with it... but I was damned if more of that liquid gold was going to escape! :(

I bet we've all done that once... right? :confused:

/ Dumb thing to do.... #4  
One of the cars I run is a Renault Clio 172 Sport: Every second year it enjoys a change of oil: disgustingly expensive 5W40 synthetic wateryness..

Last year after draining the oil from a nice hot engine and putting the new filter on, I excitedly poured the oil in... and realised I'd not yet plugged the sump. :eek:

I lost about a pint... and suffered a badly burned finger as I plugged the sump with it... but I was damned if more of that liquid gold was going to escape! :(

I bet we've all done that once... right? :confused:

Nope, sorry you are all on your own for that one. :laughing:

/ Dumb thing to do.... #6  
At the shop I used to work at, we had a guy start to fill the engine of a L10 cumins, and then go to lunch, Did you know that you can get 134 QT. of 15W-40 in one of those?:p

/ Dumb thing to do.... #7  
At the shop I used to work at, we had a guy start to fill the engine of a L10 cumins, and then go to lunch, Did you know that you can get 134 QT. of 15W-40 in one of those?:p

When I was a kid I used to drain the oil in the old man's semi on the weekend. Got to listening to Chuck Berry on the 8-track player and ran all the new oil onto the floor. Yep, forgot to put he plug in.​