King Kutter Rotary Mower stopped cutting

/ King Kutter Rotary Mower stopped cutting #1  

thuythu

I have a 6' KK Rotary Mower, I drove through a bush and the engine stopped. I lowered the lever to stop the mower, restarted the engine, lifted the mower up, then moved to a clear spot. Now, I pulled up the lever to engage the mower again, then started to cut more tall weed, it only cut about 5 feet, then the mower stopped. I tried that a few times, the same things happened. I tried to search on the internet, but could not find any similar problem. I would like to post on this forum, hopefully, someone knowledgeable on this type of mower can help me. Thank you very much in advance. TT.

/ King Kutter Rotary Mower stopped cutting #2  
Do you know about the shear bolts that are used in the PTO shaft to protect the mower? It sounds like when you stalled the tractor it sheared the bolt. You need to remove the bolt and replace it with another. Make sure to use the same grade bolt.

MarkV

/ King Kutter Rotary Mower stopped cutting
Thank you MarkV and Teg. Yes, the shear bolt is not broken and the blades are currently moved freely, but the problem remained. Yesterday, I saw the blades touching each other, I raised up the mower about 15" above the ground, and went underneath, then separate the blades, they moved freely. I tried to run the mower again, it did the same thing, cut about 5 feet, then stopped, the lever (to start the mower) automatically dropped down. I realized that there is some gear oil around the gear box, there are 4 bolts to tie down the gear box to the top of the mower, one of the bolt is loose, I tried to tie it, but it keeps turning. Is that a reason, I wonder? If so, then how to tie that up. The bold seems to be inserted from bottom up, then tied with a nut, but he nut could not be tied, it kept turning when I tried to tie it, the other 3 were tied. Also, how the blades can be stuck together (as I saw yesterday, but not today though)? I very much appreciate your help. TT.

/ King Kutter Rotary Mower stopped cutting #5  
I had to rebuild the gear box on mine a few years ago. The bearings were shredded and broken inside. If you end up rebuilding my advice would be to simply order a new gear box. By the time I was done with the rebuild, for another $20.00 I could have had a new gear box and saved the aggravation.
Good Luck. I hope your problem is not as serious as mine was.

/ King Kutter Rotary Mower stopped cutting #6  
When you say the mower stops, does the PTO driveline continue to spin? You might have torn up the gear box - or if the PTO driveline does stops... might have torn up the tractor's PTO!?! :( What tractor is this on?

/ King Kutter Rotary Mower stopped cutting #7  
It sounds like power is not reaching the gear box or the gear box can not transfer the power to the blades. Sometimes shear bolts can still look good and still be broken. Is the PTO shaft turning?

MarkV

Thank you MarkV, Teg and Jobguy for your quick reply. In my area, it is raining now, so I cannot try to run the tractor to see if the PTO shaft stays spinning. However, per MarkV's response, I took out the nut of the shear bolt, and tried to pull out the bolt, but it seems to be bent little inside that I could not pull out by hand. Since I cannot run the tractor to test anyway (since it is raining), I wonder whether a little bent like that can make the shear bolt no good? Thank you again. TT.

Also, I realized that the nut of the shear bolt is little loose, it needs about 3 circles to tight it. Is that a problem also? Will it need to be tight? Thanks again. TT

Hi Teg, mine is Ford 1710. The gear oil that I saw was there when the mower still worked. It stopped because of the tall weed, after that, it only cuts about 5ft, then stopped working as I mentioned above. I just start to use the mower for this year 2 days ago and I already saw the gear oil mixed with grass on top of the mower around gear box. I checked the gear oil level, it is still in the recommended level. I wonder how can I tied up the nut that got loose as I mentioned on my beginning post. Thank you. TT.