Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Kubota BX2230D

Default Fence posts

I don't know if any of you would bother to do this with all the treated lumber now days. When I'm putting a post or whatever into the ground, I'll first spray the below ground portion with rubberized undercoating you get at WalMart etc. I've had some in the ground over 20 years (bird house posts) and when I pulled them, they were solid. It also works good on fresh cuts on trees if you like to seal them. Some do, some don't. Just thought I'd pass that along.

Tractor
    Kubota B7800, B26 TLB

Default Re: Fence posts

Very interesting, your poles had no bark on I take it. I use the stuff after pruning large limbs on trees, apple trees too.

Super Star Member
    Tractor
    JD 4300, JD X485 JD 4x2 Gator, JD 425, JD455

What is it called? just rubberized undercoating?

What species is the wood of your bird house post?

Tractor
    jd 1070

I've been using 8' untreated landscape timbers for horse fencing for 25 years. When I have pulled them up to move a fence line they are still good (although I turn them upside down for good luck). BTW: they are $1.97 apiece at Lowes every day around here. I screw my bluebird houses to these post. They are made from cedar fence boards . Racoons, sparrows amd birdshot (to kill the sparrows) are the only things making them go bad...
    There is no "I" in team, but there is a "Me" if you want to jumble it up a bit...

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Kubota BX2230D

Rubberized Undercoating comes in various brands. I just mentioned WalMart because most everyone has one close by. It's pretty cheap too, under $3 a can if I recall right. I've been using it on cedar posts for bird houses, but I've gone to using it on anything buried in the ground, treated or untreated (which can go bad also). Works really well in wet areas. Keeps the post from drawing water. I put a couple of 4x4 treated posts w/dead men on them in my sand volleyball court last year. Sprayed them before setting them, and don't have to worry about ever replacing them. Not in my lifetime anyway.

Years ago I sprayed several coats on the bottom of a stainless steel kitchen sink to kill the tinny sound. It's best to do that on a new sink, so you can let it cure and give it time for the odor to dissipate for a couple weeks before installing.

Tractor
    Kubota B7800, B26 TLB

Quote Originally Posted by Toyboy View Post

Years ago I sprayed several coats on the bottom of a stainless steel kitchen sink to kill the tinny sound. It's best to do that on a new sink, so you can let it cure and give it time for the odor to dissipate for a couple weeks before installing.
    Did this also years ago, couldn't see paying the xtra $20 they wanted for a "sound deadened" sink.

I've been using 8' untreated landscape timbers for horse fencing for 25 years.
    I'm wondering whether what you call "landscape timbers" is the same thing we call by that name; 8' poles, round on two sides and flat on two sides. And I suppose the time it takes them to rot out depends on your soil, but they don't last any time at all in this part of the country. I've never known of one to last 2 years and usually less than one year.
    Bird

Quote Originally Posted by Toyboy View Post
    I don't know if any of you would bother to do this with all the treated lumber now days. When I'm putting a post or whatever into the ground, I'll first spray the below ground portion with rubberized undercoating you get at WalMart etc. I've had some in the ground over 20 years (bird house posts) and when I pulled them, they were solid. It also works good on fresh cuts on trees if you like to seal them. Some do, some don't. Just thought I'd pass that along.
    I do something similar with any wood product that I place in the ground...I use "brush grade" asphalt foundation coating...pretty cheap by the 5 gallon bucket at Lowe's or Home Depot. Works really well.