1995 928D Grasshopper

/ 1995 928D Grasshopper #1  

6thgpSF

Gold Member
Tractor
YM1610d bobcat 863 Gh 928d
I'm hope someone can give me some info.I bought a 1995 928D frontmount grasshoppermower.The guy selling it says a retired shop teacher buys one a year and rebuilds whatever needs fixin and then sells them.the deck is a 1998 60".it doesn't have the elec. deck tilt.when I asked him if the deck tilts up he said it didn't.I don't get the mower until sat. and that was one of the few things I didn't try before buying it.I thought all the front mount decks tilted up, am I wrong on that? also does anyone know if a manual can be had for this model? The machine is in really nice condition,I paid $5000.00 for it and can't wait to start cutting with it. any info is appreciated russ

/ 1995 928D Grasshopper #2  
I'm hope someone can give me some info.I bought a 1995 928D frontmount grasshoppermower.The guy selling it says a retired shop teacher buys one a year and rebuilds whatever needs fixin and then sells them.the deck is a 1998 60".it doesn't have the elec. deck tilt.when I asked him if the deck tilts up he said it didn't.I don't get the mower until sat. and that was one of the few things I didn't try before buying it.I thought all the front mount decks tilted up, am I wrong on that? also does anyone know if a manual can be had for this model? The machine is in really nice condition,I paid $5000.00 for it and can't wait to start cutting with it. any info is appreciated russ

No manual available for this model, they're all hydrostat.:laughing::laughing::laughing:

I just couldn't resist

/ 1995 928D Grasshopper
thanks milkman,that was funny. russ:

/ 1995 928D Grasshopper #4  
On my grasshopper, I do not have the power tilt. I usually mow after work and do not have to clean out the grass (because it is pretty dry), but I have mowed some neighbors yards that were mostly juicy weeds. I rigged up a hoist contraption in my shop. I pull in and hook it up and crank it up. This has worked well, but this year I might do the same thing to a tree in the back. I have also used a floor jack and jack stands.
Is there a way to add power tilt to an existing deck? That would be sweet.
BTW, you will love the grasshopper.
Dave

/ 1995 928D Grasshopper #5  
ran a 928d at work for 2 summers well 1.5 but they are great except for a few things all not bad but things to watch out for.

first ours had hydro over flows that spilled in to a confined area and it attracts a lot of grass clippings, also they are hard to clean every were.

our's had an issue that at low rpms you would have poor steering response ours was duel pump and had about 2000-3000 hours or more on it cant remember but ours ran for 6-8 hours straight in thick grass.

also ours would overheat/ run in the red after about 2 hours just pulled in to the shade for 5 min at idle and it was good to go honestly 2 hours of hard charging zero turning and im ready for a water break.

this got better when we discovered we were at the lower limit of the coolant capacity

once you run the front mount you will never want to go back

overall great mower

/ 1995 928D Grasshopper
thanks OKnewguy & gwjd,I ordered a manual today. Bought an oil filter,a fuel filter which looks like a spin on oil filter and an air filter.Paid $65.00 for that air filter.I noticed 2 more spin on filters underneath the seat,I'm guessing those are for the hydro pumps?can you tell me what kind of fluid these take?also if I change these filters do I need to bleed the system the same as when you bleed the fuel system?Like I said I got the manuel on order but I'd like to change the filters and fluids and grease all the fittings before I start mowing. thanks for any info ,really appre. it one other thing I think I'll do is treat the under deck with e-z slide. thanks for any other info,much appreciated russ

/ 1995 928D Grasshopper #7  
I am not sure about a 95. but on mine (I think 2000) they highly recommend their specific hydro fluid. And for some reason, I wana say that the manual recommends a interval of 1000 hours for the hydro fluid. This seems really high to me. my machine is only at 350 or so, I am going to change the hydro fluid every other year.
Dave

/ 1995 928D Grasshopper #8  
thanks OKnewguy & gwjd,I ordered a manual today. Bought an oil filter,a fuel filter which looks like a spin on oil filter and an air filter.Paid $65.00 for that air filter.

I have a Front Mount Lesco with a Kubota Diesel similar to one on the Grasshopper. The local Napa store cross referenced my filters, the air filter was around $20. Look on the side of the valve cover for your engine model number.

/ 1995 928D Grasshopper
thanks for the info bdeboer I'll do that,I'm still waiting for that manual.I'd like to change the hydro fluid before I start using it but this is my first Z-turn and don't know if you have to bleed the system once you change hyd. filters and fluid. I'm giving them another day before I start bugging them about getting me that manual. I wish I could order one online but so far haven't found a web site. russ