DR brush mower problem

/ DR brush mower problem #1  

redka

Silver Member
Trying to help my son get his DR Field/Brush mower running right.
In Idle position the engine surges...just won't run smooth.
It was running fine last year when he stored it. He put stabilizer in the fuel.
We've done the simple things: spark plugs, air filter, fuel filter.
Wondering if we need to just drain the fuel and put in fresh.
Or maybe is it a carb jet fouled even though he put in stabil.
Thought I would ask here before hauling it 30 miles to a DR service shop.
Any help appreciated. Thanks.

/ DR brush mower problem #2  
My favorite thing for gas engines is Seafoam. I'd drain the gas and put in 2-3 gallons mixed with 2-3 ounces of Seafoam. Run it long enough for the mixture to get to the carbs and let it sit overnight. Seafoam's a solvent and needs time to work. Hopefully it'd run a bit better the next day and keep on getting better as time goes on.

/ DR brush mower problem #3  
If it has a newer EPA nonadjustable carb, those jets are easily clogged. Worse case you might have to remove the carb and give it a thorough cleaning.

Another guy here gave a good suggestion to install a fuel shutoff and run the carb until it's dry when storing. That helps avoid these problems especially with ethanol gas.

/ DR brush mower problem
My favorite thing for gas engines is Seafoam. I'd drain the gas and put in 2-3 gallons mixed with 2-3 ounces of Seafoam. Run it long enough for the mixture to get to the carbs and let it sit overnight. Seafoam's a solvent and needs time to work. Hopefully it'd run a bit better the next day and keep on getting better as time goes on.

Thanks. Going to look for Seafoam now.

/ DR brush mower problem
If it has a newer EPA nonadjustable carb, those jets are easily clogged. Worse case you might have to remove the carb and give it a thorough cleaning.

Another guy here gave a good suggestion to install a fuel shutoff and run the carb until it's dry when storing. That helps avoid these problems especially with ethanol gas.

I discovered a fuel shut-off under the fuel tank this morning. Will show it to my son. Thanks.

/ DR brush mower problem #6  
Trying to help my son get his DR Field/Brush mower running right.
In Idle position the engine surges...just won't run smooth.
It was running fine last year when he stored it. He put stabilizer in the fuel.
We've done the simple things: spark plugs, air filter, fuel filter.
Wondering if we need to just drain the fuel and put in fresh.
Or maybe is it a carb jet fouled even though he put in stabil.
Thought I would ask here before hauling it 30 miles to a DR service shop.
Any help appreciated. Thanks.

I have a 2002 DR with the 15 HP Kawasaki engine. While the engine was still under warranty (fortunately) one of the two ignition modules experienced intermittent failure which caused
symptoms similar to your description. The local Kawasaki dealer replaced the module at no charge to me and the engine has worked great since then.

/ DR brush mower problem
I have a 2002 DR with the 15 HP Kawasaki engine. While the engine was still under warranty (fortunately) one of the two ignition modules experienced intermittent failure which caused
symptoms similar to your description. The local Kawasaki dealer replaced the module at no charge to me and the engine has worked great since then.

Thanks. I put the Seafoam in per Mike058 and will let it sit until tomorrow afternoon, then crank and see if it smooths out. If not, then I'll call DR's Technical Support.
They list a Toll Free number, and Live Chat option.
Thanks again.

/ DR brush mower problem
Update...the Seafoam treatment did not work. It's still in the system, so we'll let it sit and crank again tomorrow. If no improvement, then we'll move on from there.

/ DR brush mower problem
Update. Shop called and said it's ready to pick up. They tried to clean the carburetor but it did not correct the problem so they had to put on a new carburetor...I was shocked. This is a 2006, 17hp Kawasaki engine. This shop is Kawasaki certified as well as other engines. I'm still kinda shocked, just didn't know that a carburetor could not be cleaned.

/ DR brush mower problem #10  
My experience with a B & S engine that sat up was that the carb couldn't be cleaned with spray cleaner. It had to sit overnight in a gallon of carb cleaner. Maybe there is something in the Kaw. carb that won't tolerate being soaked for that long--just don't know for sure.

I was talking a with a lawn and garden equipment sales rep this evening. He says that the ethanol in the gas is swelling the rubber on the needle valve inlet on carbs, and they are telling their customers to turn off the fuel valve and run the engine to drain the carb after shutdown. The customers aren't listening....