Dust control for gravel lane

/ Dust control for gravel lane #1  

traderva

Not sure if this is the right forum but I am looking for advise on dust control. I have a long gravel lane shared by 3 homes and it gets very dusty in the summer. Does anyone have any ideas on what to apply to keep dust down? Besides blacktop as thats not an option at this point? :mad:
Thanks

/ Dust control for gravel lane #3  
What does your local town/city use thats earth friendly.

You might check out hard pack..1 or 2 inches thick.

/ Dust control for gravel lane #4  
Not sure if this is the right forum but I am looking for advise on dust control. I have a long gravel lane shared by 3 homes and it gets very dusty in the summer. Does anyone have any ideas on what to apply to keep dust down? Besides blacktop as thats not an option at this point? :mad:
Thanks
Dirty motor oil and #2 diesel mixed at 50/50 and sprayed.

/ Dust control for gravel lane #5  
   / Dust control for gravel lane #6  
: Kills the dust - and the environment.;)
larry
How so? Kills the dust, period. State and county still do it and the DEQ approved it, so? Is this going to turn into another "Passion" thread? He simply asked for an effective means of dust control and I offered an option based on personal experience. I saw no mention of environmentally friendly or "green". Unless you are going to offer the OP alternatives that you have found through experience to be effective, let's leave it at that, okay? You can start a thread on environmentally friendly dust control methods and I promise not to villify you by posting in your thread.

/ Dust control for gravel lane #7  
Just because DEQ approves of the spraying does not make spraying used motor oil and diesel a good thing to do. Nasty habit, one that the OP should be told is a nasty habit, even if he did not directly ask for "green".

/ Dust control for gravel lane #8  
Just because DEQ approves of the spraying does not make spraying used motor oil and diesel a good thing to do. Nasty habit, one that the OP should be told is a nasty habit, even if he did not directly ask for "green".
Again, another "off topic" poster...no dust control methods provided...you guys just jump in to make environmental statements and provide no useful information to the OP. It's no wonder such simple, straightforward questions turn into page after page of personal agenda. He asked for dust control methods...I provided one that I know works. What did you provide? Personal opinion. DEQ is an acronym for Department of Environmental Quality, and it is an approved method where I live, nasty habit or not, it is effective.

/ Dust control for gravel lane
Thanks for the replies.......I've considered the oil/diesel mix but wasn't sure about the legality of it............I'm not really looking for a war w/ the EPA or DEQ :mad: Anyone here used calcium or know about what it costs?

/ Dust control for gravel lane #10  
How so? Kills the dust, period. State and county still do it and the DEQ approved it, so? Is this going to turn into another "Passion" thread? He simply asked for an effective means of dust control and I offered an option based on personal experience. I saw no mention of environmentally friendly or "green". Unless you are going to offer the OP alternatives that you have found through experience to be effective, let's leave it at that, okay? You can start a thread on environmentally friendly dust control methods and I promise not to villify you by posting in your thread.
I didnt villify you - just threw in a little humor regarding an environmental detriment that I assumed you knew. Sure, it works -- but too much the bad way. Post #2 did a good job on the reasonably green angle. Any of the salts [Mg, Ca, K, Na] will sweat, keeping the surface damp until they are gone. The problem is that rain will make them shortlived and they are not exactly a benign environmental contaminant either. We use MgCl in our indoor horse arena with good results. Treat about 1 per yr.
larry