Advice on purchasing a zero-turn

/ Advice on purchasing a zero-turn #1  

Nissan197

Platinum Member
Tractor
Mahindra 3215 4WD
There are so many different brands of mowers available I am having a hard time narrowing them down. I will have approximately 3 acres of flat land to mow, which is a little rough in areas. I would like to keep the cost below 5K and would like at least a 46 in deck. I have been looking at the following brands and models: Husqvarna EZ5426, Hustler Sport or FasTrack, Toro Titan ZX 5000. Any recommendations or opinions on which to stay away from or which is best? What about a 3 point finishing mower that I can pull behind my Mahindra? I would think the zero-turn would do a better job with the finished look. Thanks.

/ Advice on purchasing a zero-turn #2  
I just purchased a used 928d Grasshopper front mount 61"deck.I was thinking about buying new but I saw this mower on craigs list and checked it out and bought it for $5,ooo.oo.This is my first ztr and it's cut my mowing time in half,around 2 acres is what I usually cut and I used to use my Yanmar with a finish mower then I got ahold of a small JD 111. both got the job done but this grasshopper kicks b--- on grass.don't know where you are in Kansas but I can lead you to a local guy in Holton and opening a second place in Topeka that sells new and good used units. russ

/ Advice on purchasing a zero-turn
Let me know. I am about an hour east of Topeka.

/ Advice on purchasing a zero-turn #4  
I sent you a pm,let me know if you got it.sometimes my computer skills leave a lot to be desired. russ

/ Advice on purchasing a zero-turn
Thanks for the response. I got it and will give them a call this week.

/ Advice on purchasing a zero-turn #6  
If this property is the only one you have, or plan to have - I'd suggest attempting to get a demo of some type ztr mower before buying, even though various brands can ride quite differently. This will get you some idea what to expect. The ztr-style units don't work any faster on rough ground than other mowers. This is the advice I was given 5 years ago before I bought one and after mowing varied properties I can tell you they are'nt ideal for all places. If most of your area is open, you may prefer a finish mower behind your Mahindra. Good Luck choosing, hope you find your "ideal" mower.

/ Advice on purchasing a zero-turn #7  
You're right about rough terrain slowing you down, but I still think overall if all you want to do is mow and get it done as quickly as possible, a ZTR is the way to go. For ~$4K, I'm pleased as punch with my new Cub Z-Force 44. I'm surprised at the amount of steel on the thing for the price. 11ga fab'd deck, wrapped with a 7ga skirt and 7ga top plate. Plus serviceable Hydrogear ZT-2800 transaxles that lots of entry commercial machines use now. Check my post here: http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/cub-cadet-l-g/169684-bought-z-force-44-a.html

Joel

/ Advice on purchasing a zero-turn #8  
Don't know much about Mahindra, is that some kind of a bait fish. However, if you got a 3 point hitch, go with a Woods finish, or something like it. If you are mowing every 3 or 4 week, you should be able to high gear it threw flat smooth stuff. Compared to a belly deck, a 3 pt. is warp speed.