Incline Education Requested

/ Incline Education Requested #1  

Mcduck

Incline Education Requested

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi guys, I have just ordered a 23 hp craftsman lawn tractor. Appears to be just what I need for my oversized backyard. Now I am getting second thoughts about completing the deal. The issue is I have a slope in my backyardwhich appears to be 15 to 20 degrees. In order to cut the slope I need to traverse it which the Sears manual says is a no no. I weigh 200 lbs and figure if I keep my speed down and offset my weight it should be no problem. How tippy are these things? Am I asking for trouble. Your experience would be appreciated!!

Thanks

McDuck

/ Incline Education Requested #2  
You might get away with transversing the slope but its the turn at the end that can be the killer.

Last edited:
   / Incline Education Requested #3  
I would change my plans and mow up & down the incline.

15 to 20 degrees is quite steep. I won't take my backhoe on more than a 10 degree crosshill, and I can extend the boom uphill to stabilize it.

One small dip or bump and you could be racing the mower to the bottom of the hill.

/ Incline Education Requested
Thanks for the advice!

/ Incline Education Requested #5  
I would never trust an owners manual for realistic information of that type. Due to liability issues they have to allow for people who would do figure 8s at full speed on a slope. You should make your own determination of how tippy the mower is. Typically 20 degrees on a familiar sideslope is safe with reasonable caution.
larry