Deciding on Ferris ZTR to replace JD 425aws

/ Deciding on Ferris ZTR to replace JD 425aws #1  

425awstojd2320

Well here's my story. Looking to upgrade from our jd 425 aws 54" to a ztr. Personally loved the 425-had some issues over the 10 years but overall loved the unit. Now has 1050 hours and my wife has developed some shoulder issues and is having a rough time steering--thinking a ztr is the way to go. I certainly cant argue w/the idea of upgrading. We mow 6+ relatively slope free acres. Most is somewhat rough (old hay field turned sub-division converted to lawn mostly.) We have hundreds of trees to go around and very few wide open clear areas to mow. Demoed a jd z425/445 last year--cut well but way too rough of ride for most of our lawn--made me realize we needed more of a "commercial unit". Last week demoed a 2009 Land Pride zxt pro 54" kawasaki 25hp gas. MSRP per dealer $7819 quoted $6585. 2010 models req. ROPS which adds $800 so he thought the 2009 would be a good buy w/o the ROPS requirement. Cut well but couldn't go much faster than the 425 due to the rough terrain. It did seem to leave a ring around the trees where it cut about 1/2 inch lower on the outside radius of the circle--not a big deal-couldnt really tell by the next day once the grass grew a little. Wife approved but I decided I wanted to check out the Ferris brand before pulling the trigger. Went to Ferris dealer today, took a 3100 and 2000 ztr for spin around the store. Could immediately tell the ride was smoother on both. The upgraded seat on the 3100 was very nice, even the standard seat on the 2000 was better than the Land Pride or jd 425. Think I could easily go max speed across our lawn w/o difficulties so I am almost sold on the Ferris. Only hang up I see is the occasional issue w/ the engine loosing power when engaging the deck but that seems like a somewhat rare problem--2 year warranty should resolve any immediate issues. Cut quality has also been brought up but would assume it is going to be atleast as good as the 425. Quoted $8595 on the is2000z 61" 26 hp kaw standard seat and $10,975 on the IS3100z 37hp 61"kawa w/upgraded seat--both prices seem reasonable given prices on ebay atleast. Upgraded suspension seat adds $900 per dealer, seems like a lot but is probably worth it since we plan on keeping it for 10+ years. Was ready to demo one of them at home to make the final decision until I asked about the IS2500z diesel. Now I have a dilemma. I love the idea of the diesel--also have a JD 2320 which is diesel--so would only need to keep 1 type of fuel. Also like the longer life of diesel engine and less fuel consumption described on other threads. Downside is the retail is $11699, asking $10900, for the 52" plus another $900 for the upgraded seat and 10995 for the 61" w/standard seat--that starts to be some real money. The dealer happened to have a 2500 in a crate that he is going to bring out Monday for a demo at home--cant wait. Think I may be nuts for spending $12000 on a mower (after spending $18500 on my 2320, fel, mmm, bb tiller in the past year) but I think it may be worth it. Atleast I should be able to get $3500 for my 425 so soften the blow. Sorry for being long winded but wanted to be thorough.
Thanks for any replies. I love this site.

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=167590&stc=1&d=1275776316

/ Deciding on Ferris ZTR to replace JD 425aws #2  
How do the wife's shoulder problems become any better with a ZTR $12,000 machine?

I'm all for you getting what you want, but from my experience the cut can't get better than a properly adjusted 54" deck as you have on your JD 425.

For that "rough" pasture treatment, I use a heavy roller once in early spring, soon after the frost goes out. That irons out the ride a bunch. Wide open throttle, pedal to the metal on the 425 with standard seat is bearable. Although I don't go quite that all out :D

/ Deciding on Ferris ZTR to replace JD 425aws
With the 425 she feels posture is part of the problem along w/ the constant circular motion involved steering the 425 around all the trees. Even my shoulder gets a little sore after a couple hours mowing--using a suicide knob mainly w/left hand--it is way too many rotations of the wheel to make a quick turn w/o using the knob. All the ztrs seem to have better seats than regular riders--higher backs and more thigh support. Since the engine is in back there is better visibility in front--may help to avoid slouching. If we can save time that means less wear on the body also. Her regular job and helping on her parents dairy farm are also part of the total issue. Thanks

/ Deciding on Ferris ZTR to replace JD 425aws #4  
If you got $12K you should go sit on a new X749 (4wd and 4ws) before you buy a Ferris. Its a definite step up from the 425.

/ Deciding on Ferris ZTR to replace JD 425aws #5  
Theres allot mowers out there. Believe it are not i have same problem as your wife and same jd. tractor I traded for a zd26.Tested most of major brands.Ferris
looked ok thought was little to soft a ride.Noise and handling is not as good
as zd26.Really like my zd.Looking at trading up to zd31 for 6 foot deck.
Oh dont ferget about buying from dealer you like and is convenient to you. Good
luck.

/ Deciding on Ferris ZTR to replace JD 425aws #6  
I just bought a used '06 Ferris IS3100 and love it. I am upgrading from a 30 hp tractor pulling a 72" finish mower and a JD L120 for trim - so any nice ZTR would feel better. But the Ferris is much better including the nice Hustler Z I test drove. The Ferris is not a magic carpet ride but it seems to take the spikes out of the bumps. The seat and cockpit is deluxe - I think Ferris teamed up with a living room recliner manufactuer.

In general for ZTR's my mowing time has been cut in half, from 4 hours to 2. And those 2 hours seem easier.

/ Deciding on Ferris ZTR to replace JD 425aws
Got to demo a Ferris 2500 61' diesel today for about 1 and 1/2 hours. To summarize--WOW.
Cant imagine anyone improving on this machine. It is quite a beast. I could easily mow 30% faster than my 425 even travels w/o the deck engaged. Never thought I would have to take wind chill factor into account while mowing. Will post more tomorrow hopefully.

/ Deciding on Ferris ZTR to replace JD 425aws #8  
7 yrs of Constant back pain driving a JD G-100 garden tractor and one ton Dodge truck...
Finally bit the bullet and bought a Ferris IS 4500 diesel & Jeep Grand Cherokee (diesel). Amazing...NO more back pain!
They weren't cheap but were perhaps the best purchases I've made.
Soft suspension is a wonderful thing if u need it.

/ Deciding on Ferris ZTR to replace JD 425aws #9  
How do the wife's shoulder problems become any better with a ZTR $12,000 machine?

A ztr requires constant movement of both hands and arms at the same time.

A steering wheel can be used with only one hand allowing you to rest the other one.

/ Deciding on Ferris ZTR to replace JD 425aws #10  
A ztr requires constant movement of both hands and arms at the same time.

A steering wheel can be used with only one hand allowing you to rest the other one.

Body posture is a lot different in a zt. Seats with armrests allow the elbows to be kept close to the body, reducing the amount of shoulder movement. The use of a steering wheel requires the arm(s) to be outstretched, the act of turning (even slightly) can cause pain to inflamed rotator cuffs, as the shoulder joint has to twist to move the wheel. Cutting grass for several hours with constant pain is not something you look forward to.
You'd be surprised on how much operation of a zt can be accomplished with just your wrists and fingers.