Best Commercial Zero Turn

/ Best Commercial Zero Turn #1  

msdprx

I'm considering the following mowers to cut my semi-rough 10 acres of grass/yard. Please tell me the pros and cons of them. While price is a concern, the primary factors are comfortability, durability, and quality cut. In that order. I want a 60" cut mower. Is there a particular motor I should steer clear of or a deck that is better than others?
Exmark Lazer Z
Exmark Advantage Series X
Scag Tiger Cut
Ferris IS3100Z (2009 model, brand new)
Ferris IS2000Z

Thanks for your input,
Rodney

/ Best Commercial Zero Turn #2  
IMHO, I'd want to try out the Ferris w/ suspension on your "semi-rough" property. If it does not smooth it out enough, consider an alternative that cuts more than 60" in a pass. On rough ground, forget how many acres per hour the ztr mowers are advertised to cut. Hope you find a machine that fits your needs!

/ Best Commercial Zero Turn #3  
You might consider adding front mounts in your list. There are some JD's, Grasshoppers, Walkers and I am sure many more. The longer wheel base helps smooth out the ride. I went from a mid mount Gravely to a Grasshopper with a Michigan suspension seat too, and I can go flat out on my rough lawn. Mine is a 52" cut, and it is a beast.
Good Luck, Dave

/ Best Commercial Zero Turn #4  
A rough lawn will not only beat the heck out of you it will beat the heck out of the mower too. I have an old JD F725 front deck mower and it does a great job and is extremely maneuverable. But it is very rough going when I hit the pitted portion of the lawn. I would take a serious look at the Ferris mowers with the suspension.

Front Deck mowers aren't very popular in the commercial mowing world because of their size and difficulty in transportation. For open acreage at a residence a front deck mower is the way to go.

Doesn't Ferris make a front deck Zero Turn model with a true wheel suspension system?

/ Best Commercial Zero Turn #5  
All of the mowers you list are quality machines. I would also look at the Hustler Super Z if you have a Hustler dealer nearby. Make sure to get some sort of a suspension seat, and if your ground is really rough, the Ferris suspension might be a real plus. I am a big fan of Kohler and Kawasaki motors... go with the biggest HP option for the machine you choose.

/ Best Commercial Zero Turn #6  
I just bought a Snapper PRO S800X front mount with a 61" deck and it is a beast. Be aware of your terrain though as the front mounts are great for level yards but have a slight problem with ditches. I wish I had of demoed one before I pulled the trigger on the front mount. It mows great and the ride is ten times smoother than the Cub M-60 Tank I replaced. Traction can be an issue if you are trying to mow certain areas.

/ Best Commercial Zero Turn #7  
I love my JD 737 54" but I hear the newer ones are not the same machine.
I only hear good things about the ride quality of the ferris.:thumbsup:

/ Best Commercial Zero Turn #8  
I'm considering the following mowers to cut my semi-rough 10 acres of grass/yard. Please tell me the pros and cons of them. While price is a concern, the primary factors are comfortability, durability, and quality cut. In that order. I want a 60" cut mower. Is there a particular motor I should steer clear of or a deck that is better than others?
Exmark Lazer Z
Exmark Advantage Series X
Scag Tiger Cut
Ferris IS3100Z (2009 model, brand new)
Ferris IS2000Z

Thanks for your input,
Rodney

Why do you want to mow 10 acres with a zero turn? That will take 6-8 hours (or longer) to mow with few obstacles. You will need to keep it short because zero turns mow poorly in taller grass unless you go slow. If the ground is somewhat rough, the ride will not be good.
I live on 8.5 acres. I mow my 2 acre yard with a 52" commercial grade Toro/Exmark Z with 27 hp Kaw motor. (Could easily handle 60" deck but took the end of year special several years ago.) Takes 1.5-2 hours because of berms, trees and landscaping. I mow my rough grass 2-3 times a year with a 72" rotary mower and it looks fairly good when done. It still requires several hours. I kind of like the look of a manicured yard around the house and trees with the taller and more natural look farther away. I am surround by 10 acres lots on both side of natural grass.

If you want to mow with a zero turn, I would go with 72" deck. 20% more coverage. As far as which mower, I don't think one is superior over the others. Ferris with suspension is suppose to be nice but I have not driven one. A commercial grade mower will run many years for homeowner use, unless your mowing 10 acres each week.;)

Last edited:
   / Best Commercial Zero Turn #9  
I've had 2 Ferris machines with suspension and they definitely ride better than any other mid mount mower. However, even with suspension, the ride isn't close to a front mount mower. The only advantage I see with a mid mount mower after having a mowing service is that you can get more of them on a trailer. In all other aspects, a front mount Grasshopper is far superior. The ride is unbelievably better and they will mow hills that I have flipped mid mount mowers on with no problems.

The downside? You will pay more for a quality commercial front mount mower. You are actually buying a separate 'tractor' and detachable front mounted mower that goes on the machine. However, as I've said many times here before, I still have my original front mount Grasshopper that now has well over 2000 hours on it and I've had zero breakdowns. I haven't even replaced the deck belt. None of the spindles are showing any wear or slop. There are 2 neoprene bushings ($5 a set) that are used where the front mount mower attaches to the 'tractor' part of the mower. Each spring I sharpen my blades and replace those bushings. Replacing those bushings is like getting a brand new mower again. After 11 years and over 2000 hours there is zero side to side movement with the front deck after replacing those $5 bushings. That means that I can mow within 1/2" of something and never worry about the deck flopping into it. I also use the front deck to mow around a 1 1/2 acre lake each week. I've never had to trim around the lake. I put several mid mount machines in the lake trying that when I had them. Good luck!

/ Best Commercial Zero Turn
I've narrowed my choice to the Exmark Lazer Z, 60" cut, 29 HP Kohler engine and the Ferris IS3100Z, 60" cut, 37 HP Kawasaki engine (2009 model). Any more comments?