Ferris 2500 Diesel or Ferris 2000 gas?

/ Ferris 2500 Diesel or Ferris 2000 gas? #1  

425awstojd2320

We have 6+ acres to mow weekly. Hundreds of trees to go around and most is somewhat bumpy. Pretty much set on a Ferris brand ZTR. Suspension really allows us to max out mowing speed better than others we have demoed. Now just have to decide on model. The 2500 61" diesel is $10,995 and the 2000 27hp Kawasaki gas 61" is $8600. Leaning towards the 2500 due to longer life and better fuel economy. Figure if we save 1/2 gallon/hour (about$1.50) would take 1600 hours to make up the difference in fuel savings, sooner if fuel costs rise. Would expect the mower to last atleast that long. That would not take into account the increased resale value expected w/ the diesel. Besides the engine both mowers are essentially the same. My CUT is diesel also so would only need 1 type of fuel on hand. Plan on keeping this unit for 15+ years so I dont mind paying a little extra to get a better machine. Thanks.

/ Ferris 2500 Diesel or Ferris 2000 gas? #2  
We have 6+ acres to mow weekly. Hundreds of trees to go around and most is somewhat bumpy. Pretty much set on a Ferris brand ZTR. Suspension really allows us to max out mowing speed better than others we have demoed. Now just have to decide on model. The 2500 61" diesel is $10,995 and the 2000 27hp Kawasaki gas 61" is $8600. Leaning towards the 2500 due to longer life and better fuel economy. Figure if we save 1/2 gallon/hour (about$1.50) would take 1600 hours to make up the difference in fuel savings, sooner if fuel costs rise. Would expect the mower to last at least that long. That would not take into account the increased resale value expected w/ the diesel. Besides the engine both mowers are essentially the same.

My CUT is diesel also so would only need 1 type of fuel on hand.

Plan on keeping this unit for 15+ years so I dont mind paying a little extra to get a better machine. Thanks.

You must not have a string trimmer or chain saw then .:confused2:

/ Ferris 2500 Diesel or Ferris 2000 gas? #3  
I suppose it depends on how long you plan to keep it. Clearly, Ferris makes a great ZTR. My experience with several ZTR machines is that I get just over twice the mowing time with the same hp engine that is diesel as compared to gas. With the size of my property I mow weekly, it only took just over 2 years to make up the difference in fuel cost savings alone. That doesn't even take into consideration the longer life of the diesel engine and the fact I have a diesel tank on the property for filling.

/ Ferris 2500 Diesel or Ferris 2000 gas? #4  
My impression is similar to Dargo's; I get use about ~half the fuel with diesel vs. gas. The added torque, lower frequency vibration and longevity of the diesel are additional benefits. No regrets on buying the diesel.

/ Ferris 2500 Diesel or Ferris 2000 gas? #5  
While not the "same", I owned a 2 cylinder B&S lawn tractor with gasoline 18 hp and a Kubota BX with an 18 hp diesel.

I find the diesel BX uses .5 gallon per hour while the gasoline used every bit of a gallon per hour. So, I agree the others. About the half the fuel use with the diesel.