JD 425 steering problem

/ JD 425 steering problem #1  

Baub

Tractor
NH TC21D JD425
I bought my 425 over 10 years ago, used, from the local JD dealer. It has been a great mower over the years, has about 600 hours.

This spring, on start-up, the hydraulic steering was hard to turn. Stiff, and I could feel a little jerking in the wheel. After warming up, and a little use, back to normal.

I double checked the hydraulic fluid, and the level is OK. Last mowing, on cold start-up, the deck was slow in raising. Again, after a little warm-up, things went back to normal.

Could it be a plugged filter, bad pump? Any advise would be appreciated.

/ JD 425 steering problem
Fluid and filter change this weekend. Thanks!

/ JD 425 steering problem
Monday Update... K7LN nailed it. New filter and fluid made the 425 like new. I do the engine oil and filter, air and gas filter, and all the greasing religiously, but I only kept the hydraulic fluid topped off. Until now!
smellie_lol.gif

Thanks for the help! Bob

/ JD 425 steering problem #6  
I have a John Deere 425 lawn tractor. I just replaced the o-rings on the power steering hoses because there was some leaking. I also put a new o-ring kit on the power steering valve. My leaking seems to have stopped, however, now my steering is ULTRA sensitive! I just barely touch it and it turns all the way! When the engine is off, I am unable to move the steering wheel at all. I'm guessing I put something back together wrong on the steering valve, or mixed up my hoses when I put them back? Any ideas??