Which engine is better

/ Which engine is better #1  

cmkh3

Silver Member
Tractor
John Deere 322
Which engine is better for hard use in a John Deere 318 and why?
Briggs & Stratton Vanguard 23 hp
or
Onan P218

/ Which engine is better #3  
Onan parts are always more expensive. The Briggs engines are good engines.

/ Which engine is better #4  
I would always pick the Briggs over an Onan, for parts prices and availability.

Brian

/ Which engine is better #5  
If Honda offers a retrofit kit I would use it before the B & S or Onan. In colder weather I.e snow removal, the Onans had a problem with lube to the cam shaft bearings. When these bearings spun it usually ruined the block. I have helped friends replace three of them in the last few years most had around 600 - 700 hours on them.

Roy

/ Which engine is better #6  
If Honda offers a retrofit kit I would use it before the B & S or Onan. In colder weather I.e snow removal, the Onans had a problem with lube to the cam shaft bearings. When these bearings spun it usually ruined the block. I have helped friends replace three of them in the last few years most had around 600 - 700 hours on them.

Roy

Well yeah, I would pick Honda and then Kohler over Briggs, and Onan would be near the bottom of the list. I already have 1500 hrs. on my Honda EU6500is generator that is about 15 months old. There is no doubt in my mind that Honda is the superior engine. But that wasn't the question.

Brian

/ Which engine is better #7  
oldnslo, you got me worried since I'm over 700 hours on my Onan engine. For 19 years I ran straight 30 weight, and have now changed over to a 15-30. Any gut feel on if that multigrade oil will help with the problem you talked about, or is it just a matter of how many hours it's been run in the cold? Here in NC, it gets out in the cold an average of once a winter.

Pete

/ Which engine is better #8  
Wow, no good opinions on the Onans. I've had mine for 17 years and 640 hours with out a hitch (knock on wood). Used it to plow snow for years and it gets pretty cold here in CT. I have heard the parts are expensive but I've also heard they usually run 1,000 - 1,500 hours without a problem if maintained. I'd be interested in learning more about the lube issue. Just switched to synthetic 30W from dino.

/ Which engine is better #9  
Wow, no good opinions on the Onans. I've had mine for 17 years and 640 hours with out a hitch (knock on wood). Used it to plow snow for years and it gets pretty cold here in CT. I have heard the parts are expensive but I've also heard they usually run 1,000 - 1,500 hours without a problem if maintained. I'd be interested in learning more about the lube issue. Just switched to synthetic 30W from dino.

I'm with K7LN. It's not that the engines themselves are any worse that other engines. It's the parts availability and cost.

I do like Kohler engines. I've actually never owned anything with a Honda engine, but everyone I've talked to likes them.

As for the OP's question between Onan and B&S... The Onan may outperform or outlast the B&S, but when the first thing goes wrong the B&S will be nice to have.

/ Which engine is better #10  
oldnslo, you got me worried since I'm over 700 hours on my Onan engine. For 19 years I ran straight 30 weight, and have now changed over to a 15-30. Any gut feel on if that multigrade oil will help with the problem you talked about, or is it just a matter of how many hours it's been run in the cold? Here in NC, it gets out in the cold an average of once a winter.

Pete

Pete,
I wish I had a good answer to that question. I helped one guy put a short block on his and we also installed a oil pressure gauge at the same time. Short block he purchased required using the original oil pump assembly. On initial startup his oil pressure was real low around 8 - 12 PSI at 1/3 - 1/2 throttle. We took the relief valve apart and inspected it for debris etc. Could find nothing reassembled the unit and it was still low. We then adjusted it up to factory specs plus a hair or two. That was about 5 - 6 years ago and he still has good oil pressure at it is running fine.

I don't like to base assumptions on one unit but it looked like the oil pressure may have been set at the low end from day one and as the engine wore the pressure dropped even further. On all three of the engines I have seen the cam bearing next to the timing gear is the that failed. The crank and con rod bearings where not damaged on any of them.

Brian,
As to the OP question, I wasn't sure if he was looking at repowering his tractor or purchasing a unit with the motor in it. I know my sons 400 had the option of a Honda retro kit. Sorry if this offended anyone.

Roy