John Deere X300 or ???

/ John Deere X300 or ??? #1  

nap61

Silver Member
I have a two year old JD LA130 that is ready to be put out of it's misery. I can't complain too much, I have used, abused and rode it hard trying to get my property in shape to build. I have been nursing it along but have spent as much in repairs as I originally paid for it. I don't want to spend any more on it, but I am in the middle of building my last house on my property and I'm trying to keep my wallet closed until its finished.(pics will be in the projects section, if I can figure out how to post them). I was hoping to get through this season, but that may not happen. I mow about 3 acres every 7/10 days. I have 200 hrs. on the mower.
I looked at the JD X300 for about $3,000. It seems beefy enough, but is there another option? Is there a ZT sturdy enough in that price range to last? I have a CT225 but it is too heavy for lawn mowing.

Norm

/ John Deere X300 or ??? #2  
I think the X300 only comes with the 42" deck. I know I'd want something bigger to mow 3 acres preferable 54". The X320 has a 48" deck for around 4K and the X340 has a 54" deck for about 4700. Could get a Bad Boy with 60" deck for 5K. I've seen some used older John Deeres, 425 and 445s on ebay with under a 1000 hours going for 2500 or so.

/ John Deere X300 or ??? #3  
look at the Dixie chopper ZT mowers. those are heavy duty, have large decks, and can mow FAST.

/ John Deere X300 or ???
Thanks for the replies. I will look at the X320. Also, I was planning to look at the Dixie Chopper this week.

Norm

/ John Deere X300 or ??? #5  
I have a two year old JD LA130 that is ready to be put out of it's misery. I can't complain too much, I have used, abused and rode it hard trying to get my property in shape to build. I have been nursing it along but have spent as much in repairs as I originally paid for it. I don't want to spend any more on it, but I am in the middle of building my last house on my property and I'm trying to keep my wallet closed until its finished.(pics will be in the projects section, if I can figure out how to post them). I was hoping to get through this season, but that may not happen. I mow about 3 acres every 7/10 days. I have 200 hrs. on the mower.
I looked at the JD X300 for about $3,000. It seems beefy enough, but is there another option? Is there a ZT sturdy enough in that price range to last? I have a CT225 but it is too heavy for lawn mowing.

Norm

If $3k is your set budget then you might be best served to buy a cheap one. If it goes out on you... buy another. You could do that 2-3 times for $3k. I don't think you would be happy with spending $3k on an X300. Dixie Choppers are very nice but they are not cheap. I think they may have a model geared more toward residential use that you might want to look at. Now if you up your budget about $2k you could get into some pretty nice entry level commercial ZTRs. I really like the Ferris IS 500Z. Other than the Briggs engine you are getting a lot of commercial features on a ZTR with suspension. The 44" model can be had for under $5k. A couple of others to consider if you chose to go the ZTR route would be the Exmark Quest and the Scag Freedom Z. I believe the smaller Exmark sells for around $4k. A few years ago I was in a situation were I needed a lawn mower that wouldn't break the bank but hold up to some abuse. I bought a Craftsman GT5000 for $1949. The garden tractors are built tougher than the lawn tractors. Thicker frames, deck, bigger tires, etc. It has served me well. It has about 105 hours on it now and at least half of those it was more brush hogging than mowing grass. Rough terrain, mud, bad conditions almost all the time. No failures to date. Only parts I've replaced is the deck belts and blades. A lot of different ways to look at it. I've been real happy with the route I took. Now I have a different piece of land, a new tractor, and getting ready to start building. So before too long the brush hog and the Craftsman will be put to rest and that is when I will buy a nice ZTR to maintain the land.

/ John Deere X300 or ??? #6  
If you're looking to get an X300, you should pay the extra price to get an X320 or higher. The X300 has the K46 transaxle that has been rather problematic. The X320 and above use the K58. If you have a problem with a K46, the repair cost will eat up a large chunk of the difference in price of the two.

I too would also want something bigger than a 42" deck. I mow 4 acres with a 60" now and wouldn't mind have a bigger deck.

There have been a LOT of reports of problems with the K46 tranny. The question is, how many of those problems result from misusing/abusing a relatively low-end transaxle? I bought an x320 because I have lots of hills in my 1 acre yard and I plan to push snow and pull a cart filled with who-knows-what. That said, I'm not trying to talk you out of an X320. I love mine.

/ John Deere X300 or ??? #7  
I agree with others to pass on an X300 and buy atleast an X320 with the better transaxle (K58).

If you need to cut 3 acres routinely you need a bigger mower, think 60" cut or better.

/ John Deere X300 or ??? #8  
If you need to cut 3 acres routinely you need a bigger mower, think 60" cut or better.

Yep... 3 acres is "over the eyelids" for a X300 - IMO. (Although, I'm pretty sure you can get a 48" deck for it.)

I mow just over an acre with my X300R and that's about all I want to take on... every 10 days!

AKfish

/ John Deere X300 or ??? #9  
Cub Cadet GT2554. I know it's a garden tractor not a lawn tractor but that just makes it better. This GT2500 Cub Cadet series are priced about like X300 series but just a way better value IMHO.

/ John Deere X300 or ??? #10  
Cub Cadet GT2554. I know it's a garden tractor not a lawn tractor but that just makes it better. This GT2500 Cub Cadet series are priced about like X300 series but just a way better value IMHO.
Way better than a lawn tractor.