What a Deal

/ What a Deal #1  

TNhobbyfarmer

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L3430 Polaris Ranger 500
I've been looking for a cheap lawn tractor on craigslist most of the summer. I have a hunting cabin on some property I own a couple of hours from my full time residence. I have been hauling my Craftsman tractor back and forth to cut the lawn at the cabin. I have wanted something to leave there and avoid the hauling.

Those of you who buy on CL know that when a really good deal is posted, you better respond fast or you'll miss out. I don't have time top sit and watch CL all day so I have mised out on the deals so far this summer, however I finally got in on one.

Early this week I saw an ad for a 2007 19 HP (Kohler Engine) Troy-Bilt mower. The ad said everything was in perfect condition. The pictures confirmed that it was not used very much and it looked almost new. The price was $250.00. I emailed immediately and indicated that I wanted the mower. The response came back quickly and said I could come get it but not until Saturday. I wanted to get the deal consumated quicker than that but had no choice but to wait until the seller was prepared for me to come.

Then the seller emailed me and said we needed to talk. OK, here we go. I knew there was going to be some catch to the deal. Well, she said they had not used the mower all summer and when her husband tried to start it it needed a new battery. Also, he wanted to change the oil to make sure it was in top notch condition before selling it, but because of the extra maintenance expense, the price was now $350.00. And by the way they got 50 emails within the first hour of the ad being posted. I wasn't too happy with the bait and switch that was going on but they realized they priced it too low and thus were in the drivers seat. I grumbled under my breath, but because I still thought it was a good deal at $350.00 I agreed.

Well the next day I get another email. Before opening it, I thought to myself "here we go again." To my pleasant surprise it said that when they put in a new battery and started it up, there was smoke coming from the engine, and they didn't want to sell it in that condition. The next sentence shocked me. It said they were moving this weekend and couldn't take it with them so I could come get it free. Wow! What a deal. I now have the free tractor in my possession.

I put a battery in (they returned the batterry they bought and I don't blame them), and it wouldn't turn over. I checked the battery and it was in good conditioned and well charged so I removed the starter and had it checked. The starter is bad so I have ordered another one. If that's the only problem I encounter, it will still be a great deal. I think I know what the smoking was about. I checked the oil and it had way too much in it. Will that cause the engine to smoke or potentially do other harm if run too long with too much oil? If you have had any experience with too much oil in an engine, I would appreciate your comments.

Here is a picture of the Troy-Bilt.

Attachments

• Troy-Bilt.jpg
    Troy-Bilt.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 208
   / What a Deal #2  
Congratulations on a great find.

Excess oil in the crankcase will indeed cause an engine to smoke. Also, be sure to check the air filter, because if the eng was run with enough oil to make it smoke, it could possibly have contaminated your air filter.:thumbsup:

Good luck.

Jim

/ What a Deal #3  
Way to go...I also found a Brand new Yardman 20 HP Tractor , 46 inch cut with a brand new cart for $400.00 for my son...found it on Craig's List last winter...The lady had been transferred and had to move immediately and could not take it with her..she had cut her grass twice with it and it was perfect..We jumped on it that very day and hooked the trailer up in 15 degree weather with the threat of snow and an ice storm but my Son got a great deal like you...You have only a minor problem..You got a great deal and you are right ..when you see a deal you have to move quick or it's gone...

/ What a Deal #5  
I don't know anything about Kohler engines but I know my 18hp B&S single cylinder OHV engine has a known valve gap issue that feels exactly like a bad battery or faulty starter. (i.e. The starter can't push through the compression stroke). Adjusting the gap fixes it. Might be worth checking out. You dont want to cook that new starter.

/ What a Deal #6  
I don't know anything about Kohler engines but I know my 18hp B&S single cylinder OHV engine has a known valve gap issue that feels exactly like a bad battery or faulty starter. (i.e. The starter can't push through the compression stroke). Adjusting the gap fixes it. Might be worth checking out. You dont want to cook that new starter.
You're right about some of the single cylinder B&S engines having problems with the exhaust valve being too tight and affecting the compression release. Sometimes you have to adjust them a little tighter than the specs call for to get them to work properly.

Jim

/ What a Deal
Update: I received the new starter yesterday, put it on and the mower starts and runs like a charm. The smoking was obviously from too much oil put in by the previous owner. I changed the oil, put in the proper amount, and the smoking went away after a couple of minutes of running. I am very happy to have an almost new lawn tractor for an investment of a little over $100.00.

/ What a Deal #8  
You did real good I'm kind of jealous lol as I had to get mine from Lowes Lil

Curiously i had to 'adjust ' the crab on mine and noticed that bottom of the carb bowel has some sort of electrical componant to it any idea what it is or does?

/ What a Deal #9  
While reading the original post I fully expected it to end badly. Very often, deals on CL or eBay that seem too good to be true turn out to be scams. I'm glad it worked out so well.

/ What a Deal
You did real good I'm kind of jealous lol as I had to get mine from Lowes Lil

Curiously i had to 'adjust ' the crab on mine and noticed that bottom of the carb bowel has some sort of electrical componant to it any idea what it is or does?

Not sure about that electrical component, however, I have not had any reason to need to mess with the carb. I did download and copy an owners manual and service manual from the Troy-Bilt website. The service manual looks pretty thorough so I bet you could get information there. Good luck!