Georgia - Mt. Vernon by The Store just 5 miles east and right by the big oak tree then to the creek.

Default Murray Lawn Tractor 46 inch deck ..blade change !

I spent 1 & 1/2 hrs. yesterday changing the three blades on my 46 inch mower deck...I will not wait 2 yrs. to do it again. I could not believe how worn down those blades were. I started leaving strips of uncut grass as I cut. I used a floor jack to jack the tractor up and had to use an air ratchet to get the blades off..the mower deck had a dent in it so one of the new blades would not fit..Uggg ! So had to take a hand sledge and hammer that out but otherwise it went smooth as can be.

It is too bad the manufacturers can't come up with a better design to make it easier to change blades. The manual says to take the mower deck off..imagine going through that just to change the blades.
    Bob

WORRYING does not take away tomorrow's TROUBLES, it takes away today's PEACE.

NH - TC-29 , FEL, Bush hog, Bush hog brand finishing mower, Post hole digger, 6' Back blade, sub-soiler, Pallet forks, 20KW PTO Generator , 21 hp Murray Mower
    JD -3020 with FEL and a 16 HP. K-Grow Lawn Tractor (bought from K Mart 1994) and runs great !
    Clark 130 EN Mig Welder

maybar

Default Re: Murray Lawn Tractor 46 inch deck ..blade change !

Quote Originally Posted by brin View Post
    I spent 1 & 1/2 hrs. yesterday changing the three blades on my 46 inch mower deck...I will not wait 2 yrs. to do it again. I could not believe how worn down those blades were. I started leaving strips of uncut grass as I cut. I used a floor jack to jack the tractor up and had to use an air ratchet to get the blades off..the mower deck had a dent in it so one of the new blades would not fit..Uggg ! So had to take a hand sledge and hammer that out but otherwise it went smooth as can be.

It is too bad the manufacturers can't come up with a better design to make it easier to change blades. The manual says to take the mower deck off..imagine going through that just to change the blades.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sounds to me as if you need some practice. Try it again today and report back how long it takes. We'll allow you to deduct the body work on the deck this time.

I've been working on a Quick Attach blade idea for a long time but as of now I doubt a patent would be granted because of safety issues.

Georgia - Mt. Vernon by The Store just 5 miles east and right by the big oak tree then to the creek.

Quote Originally Posted by maybar View Post
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sounds to me as if you need some practice. Try it again today and report back how long it takes. We'll allow you to deduct the body work on the deck this time.

I've been working on a Quick Attach blade idea for a long time but as of now I doubt a patent would be granted because of safety issues.
    Geez maybar, I just got done ..I took em back off and put them back on and it only took me 30 min. this time..I will try it again tomorrow and maybe I can get it down to 15 min.
    Bob

WORRYING does not take away tomorrow's TROUBLES, it takes away today's PEACE.

NH - TC-29 , FEL, Bush hog, Bush hog brand finishing mower, Post hole digger, 6' Back blade, sub-soiler, Pallet forks, 20KW PTO Generator , 21 hp Murray Mower
    JD -3020 with FEL and a 16 HP. K-Grow Lawn Tractor (bought from K Mart 1994) and runs great !
    Clark 130 EN Mig Welder

Tractor
    Kubota L2800HST w/Frontloader & CC LTX1046 & Craftman T2200 lawn mower.

Now thats getting your money worth.

"use an air ratchet to get the blades off"
    Apply grease to bolt/stud threads before blades are attach..makes removing blades darn easier.

Tractor
    Kubota BX24

you should be applying never seize if you have hard time removing bolt.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L210

I use blue threadlok on my blade bolts ever since one got loose on me after a blade sharpening on my 46" MTD rider. I drop the deck to do the job because I don't have a floor jack or any good way to lift and hold the front end, and I've gotten pretty good at the process.

Chuck