Murray Lawn Tractor 46 inch deck ..blade change !

/ Murray Lawn Tractor 46 inch deck ..blade change ! #1  

brin

Georgia - Mt. Vernon by The Store just 5 miles eas
I spent 1 & 1/2 hrs. yesterday changing the three blades on my 46 inch mower deck...I will not wait 2 yrs. to do it again. I could not believe how worn down those blades were. I started leaving strips of uncut grass as I cut. I used a floor jack to jack the tractor up and had to use an air ratchet to get the blades off..the mower deck had a dent in it so one of the new blades would not fit..Uggg ! So had to take a hand sledge and hammer that out but otherwise it went smooth as can be.

It is too bad the manufacturers can't come up with a better design to make it easier to change blades. The manual says to take the mower deck off..imagine going through that just to change the blades.

/ Murray Lawn Tractor 46 inch deck ..blade change ! #2  
I spent 1 & 1/2 hrs. yesterday changing the three blades on my 46 inch mower deck...I will not wait 2 yrs. to do it again. I could not believe how worn down those blades were. I started leaving strips of uncut grass as I cut. I used a floor jack to jack the tractor up and had to use an air ratchet to get the blades off..the mower deck had a dent in it so one of the new blades would not fit..Uggg ! So had to take a hand sledge and hammer that out but otherwise it went smooth as can be.

It is too bad the manufacturers can't come up with a better design to make it easier to change blades. The manual says to take the mower deck off..imagine going through that just to change the blades.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Sounds to me as if you need some practice. :laughing: Try it again today and report back how long it takes. We'll allow you to deduct the body work on the deck this time.:laughing:

I've been working on a Quick Attach blade idea for a long time but as of now I doubt a patent would be granted because of safety issues.:mur:

/ Murray Lawn Tractor 46 inch deck ..blade change !
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Sounds to me as if you need some practice. :laughing: Try it again today and report back how long it takes. We'll allow you to deduct the body work on the deck this time.:laughing:

I've been working on a Quick Attach blade idea for a long time but as of now I doubt a patent would be granted because of safety issues.:mur:

Geez maybar, I just got done ..I took em back off and put them back on and it only took me 30 min. this time..I will try it again tomorrow and maybe I can get it down to 15 min.:thumbsup:

/ Murray Lawn Tractor 46 inch deck ..blade change ! #4  
Now thats getting your money worth.

"use an air ratchet to get the blades off"
Apply grease to bolt/stud threads before blades are attach..makes removing blades darn easier.

/ Murray Lawn Tractor 46 inch deck ..blade change ! #5  
you should be applying never seize if you have hard time removing bolt.

/ Murray Lawn Tractor 46 inch deck ..blade change ! #6  
I use blue threadlok on my blade bolts ever since one got loose on me after a blade sharpening on my 46" MTD rider. I drop the deck to do the job because I don't have a floor jack or any good way to lift and hold the front end, and I've gotten pretty good at the process.

Chuck