Utility Vehicle

/ Utility Vehicle #1  

yooperdave

Veteran Member
Tractor
Tool Cat 5600, LS XJ2025H, Branson 4215HC
My Uncle is selling his Honda Goldwing, and wants to buy a gator style utility vehicle.

Can anyone recommend a sit down seat style utility vehicle?

Is the John Deere Gator better than a similar Polaris or Mule?

I am looking for a heavy duty, larger size frame, and lots of traction and power with room for 2 people.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Yooper Dave

/ Utility Vehicle #2  
I don't think you can go wrong with either one. We have a Gator and love it. They all have their advantages. The Gator is the best for not rolling over and for the least amount of damage to the area it's being run on, the polaris is going to have the most hp and the most speed, the mule is just a good all-around tool. Really though go look, drive them, and pick which one you like the best. All three are winners.

/ Utility Vehicle #3  
Richard, how come you think the Gator is best for not rolling over? I've always figured that with 6x6 and ATV heritage, the Ranger would win that one. With our hills, that's a key consideration, so I'm intrigued by your opinion. Thanks!

/ Utility Vehicle #4  
That's not my opinion that's the facts from many independent reviews. Deere states it as well. They wouldn't say it if it wasn't true or they would get sued. The deere has the lowest center of gravity. The gator gets knocked because it doesn't have an independent rear suspension. The reason that deere doesn't have the ind. suspension in the back is because they wanted the gator to be as low impact to the surface it rode on as possible. If you look at most places where ground impaction is a factor you see a gator. btw deere also has a 6x6.

/ Utility Vehicle #5  
A neighbor had a utility vehicle with the independent rear suspension. He had a medium sized load and was on a slight side hill. The center of the load was then on one side, the suspension gave, and he rolled it over - it went smooth and easy, something like when leaning too far in a canoe. The gator won't do that.

I have the 4x4 and am absolutely amazed at what it will do and where it will go in the woods, and up and around steep hills. I like it for the comfort in the seats, and the fact that one sits low in the seats.

But to each their own.

/ Utility Vehicle #6  
Thanks, Richard. I'm going to look into the Gator a little closer!

/ Utility Vehicle #7  
If you get the chance check out the Toro Workman 2100 utility vehicle.
It is only rear wheel drive but it has a "swivel joint" in the middle that keeps all four wheels on the ground. Solid rear axle and independent front suspension and the front suspension has adjustable ride hieght.
Maximum speed is listed at 16 mph but when ours were delivered all three ran about 21 mph. First thing I did was slow them down to about 12 mph until the "children" got used to them and then put them back up to 16.
It is powered by a 16 hp Briggs and Stratton twin cylinder and has a forward-neutral-reverse transmission.
Nice seats, headlights, and optional electric dump box. Body and box are all plastic. We have had them for about two months and have about 60 hours on each of them.
Cost was about $6400 with the electric dump.
It might not be your cup of tea but the price difference makes it worth a look. Try http://www.toro.com under utility vehicles to see the specs.

BTW Dave if you are going to be down around Roscommon email me and you can take a test drive. Might be you would rather have the bigger Workman 4230 at around $18K, you can test drive that here too.

/ Utility Vehicle #8  
Maybe that's why Mule's come standard with a ROPS and the Gator's don't? /w3tcompact/icons/shocked.gif

I find that a very interesting difference between the two that is not emphasized in the promo material I have read.

/ Utility Vehicle #9  
In the Gator literature, at least the new brochures, they do emphasize the stability and the fact that the gator has 7.1 lbs./sq. inch of impaction and the avg. for others is 20-22 psi.

/ Utility Vehicle
My parents bought a gator when they first came out many years ago. It has 5 wheels and was recalled due to stability problems. It has been a work horse but has required lots of time and money to keep it going. I am hoping that the new 6 wheel gators are vastly improved.

Thanks to everybody for all the input.

Yooper Dave