Garden rebuild

/ Garden rebuild #1  

Wooddust

Silver Member
Tractor
JD3720
My garden had become a disaster. Over time I have allowed my passion for Turkey hunting get in the way in the spring and deer season starts in September for bow season. I let it happen. Then to make matters worse ( I am a professional in the agrichemical business) I sprayed some roundup in the garden last year and did not do the very basic clean up of the sprayer before i mixed the RU and managed to also spray enough residual broadleaf killer that I killed every tomato (40) that I planted this spring. So much for a garden.

So, 3 weeks ago i got ahold of a tractor tiller and I let it fly. The garden is now at least broken up again and I planted buckwheat for a fall green manure crop. Then today I got 12 cubic yards of horse manure from a customer I spray for and have 1.3 of the garden now covered with about 5 inches of horse poop and tilled in.

Ill get at least 6 more loads this fall. I plan to do the balance of the garden, fill my compost pile and topdress the asparagus.

Maybe next year we can avoid buying tomatoes.

Oh...no chemical will be used in the garden.

/ Garden rebuild #2  
My garden had become a disaster. Over time I have allowed my passion for Turkey hunting get in the way in the spring and deer season starts in September for bow season. I let it happen. Then to make matters worse ( I am a professional in the agrichemical business) I sprayed some roundup in the garden last year and did not do the very basic clean up of the sprayer before i mixed the RU and managed to also spray enough residual broadleaf killer that I killed every tomato (40) that I planted this spring. So much for a garden.

So, 3 weeks ago i got ahold of a tractor tiller and I let it fly. The garden is now at least broken up again and I planted buckwheat for a fall green manure crop. Then today I got 12 cubic yards of horse manure from a customer I spray for and have 1.3 of the garden now covered with about 5 inches of horse poop and tilled in.

Ill get at least 6 more loads this fall. I plan to do the balance of the garden, fill my compost pile and topdress the asparagus.

Maybe next year we can avoid buying tomatoes.

Oh...no chemical will be used in the garden.

That is good to hear and good luck with the new garden.