Weedwacker - string vs nylon "blades"?

/ Weedwacker - string vs nylon "blades"? #1  

wihakowiSteve

Bronze Member
Tractor
NH TC35D
Weedwacker - string vs nylon \"blades\"?

I need some advice regarding the best way to doing heavier duty trimming with my weedwackers. I have always used the three "free spinning" nylon head apparatus on my Stihl for heavier trimming and it has worked OK for me. That is what I originally intended to get for my 21cc Echo trimmer but got talked into the type of head that you insert pre-cut lengths of string into. It will take up to .150 string which seems pretty heavy duty and I would think would last langer than the .095 that I run in the regular wind-up head. Here's my questions:

Is pre-cutting (8") the lengths of string and continually inserting them into the unit (although it is an easier process than some I have seen where you have to literally thread the length thorugh the head) going to turn into an exercise in frustration?
Doesn't the trimmer lose effeciency as the string gets shorter? Both in width of cut and ability to cut well (tip speed or something)?
Am I going to have enough power to drive a .150 string with the little Echo (21cc - I think their 2nd smallest model)? If I have to drop to a .095 string in the thing, I'll continue to use the tap-n-feed head.
Is a "free spinning" blade type head a better choice all around??

All help appreciated. Thanks, Steve

/ Weedwacker - string vs nylon "blades"? #2  
Re: Weedwacker - string vs nylon \"blades\"?

I have found out when the string{.095} get shorter the horse power will increase,but the shorter the string the less reaching cut you shall have which means more movement.

Heavy duty weed wacking I like the nylon,for it does seem to last longer...anything around 12"or about w/berry bushes,golden rods etc..I use a blade.. much quicker.

/ Weedwacker - string vs nylon "blades"? #3  

Steve,
I have a Homelite trimmer with the precut line. I hate that head. To much work. I live in NH with lots of stone walls. The string goes pretty quick. then stop the engine. Insert a new piece. start the process over. As you and Thomas both noted as the string shortens the trimmer becomes less effective. I wind up throwing away a piece that is 40 -50% of the original lenght. That seems like a lot of waste to me. The precut string has a flat spot at the midpoint to facilitate insertion and removal. If I cut my own pieces of string they lack the flat spot and I need needle nose pliers to get the used piece out. I brought a bump head but it never worked well so I use the precut string head.

I just brought a Toro proline weedcutter/brush trimmer. I had them replace the pre-cut string head with a bump feed. I love it so far.

I have a Sears high wheel string trimmer which uses the precut string. Very heavy gauge though I don't know the exact number. That string lasts much longer than my over the shoulder Homelite string.

By "free spinning blade" do you mean the brushcutter one piece saw blade. These work great on both the Homelite and the Toro but you definitely can't trim the stone walls with them. If you mean the gizmos with the little individual blades on the head I would steer clear. They took the ones with chainsaw links off the market. imagine the damage when one of them links broke loose. Around here they still sell those with individual nylon or plastic links. But I imagine a piece of the "blade" flying off would still be incredibly dangerous.

Phil

/ Weedwacker - string vs nylon "blades"? #4  

Hi Steve,

I bought a Grass Gator head for my Weedwacker, and I love it. I've only changed blades once since I got it. I got sick of the string not coming out of the head properly with the original head. I recommend the nylon free spinning blades.
Just my $.02.

Kent

/ Weedwacker - string vs nylon "blades"? #5  

I recently bought a <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.xcaliburtraps.com/grass-gator-4650.html>grass gater</A> head. I haven't tried it yet though. They come in either nylon or metal (I got the metal). I bought mine at Lowes. I have some heavy stuff to cut that I can't get to with the bush hog and this head should do the job!

/ Weedwacker - string vs nylon "blades"? #6  
Re: Weedwacker - string vs nylon

Looks like a few votes for the pivoting blades. The link to the metal headed grass gator didn't show the pic. Is it just like the nylon blades? As I mentioned I thought the metal ones were off the market. Don't see them around here.

Does anyone have an idea of longevity when trimming around stones or stone walls. The string gets eaten up pretty fast. If the nylon blades last longer they would be worth a look.

Phil

/ Weedwacker - string vs nylon "blades"? #7  

Phil - "The link to the metal headed grass gator didn't show the pic."

Did you scroll all the way down the page? The pic shows up for me.

/ Weedwacker - string vs nylon "blades"? #8  

Danny,
Still no pic. It is only the brush cutter head that doesn't show. I can see all the other heads, the overfill funnel and everything else. Just not the metal bladed brush cutter.

Phil

/ Weedwacker - string vs nylon "blades"? #9  

I detached the picture from their web site then attached it here. Hope this works! Sorry it took so long, I don't get to this forum as often as the others. I was actually going to try mine out last weekend, but the throttle cable broke on the Weed Eater. I got another one and got it put on, so hopefully this weekend I can try it out.

By the way, this is a BIG Weed Eater I'm running this on. We call it the Binford 2000 Super Wacker! I had to drill the hole out on the Grass Gator to make it fit. We usually run a circular saw type blade on it and use it to cut down small trees flush with the ground.

Attachments

• 16-202467-Grassgator.jpg
    16-202467-Grassgator.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 2,839
   / Weedwacker - string vs nylon "blades"? #10  

Mosey.
I have the cutter you show in the picture. Be very careful with the solid metal blades. If you put vertical force on them, they WILL break. There is a re-designed replacement blade that is a flat jagged metal blade incased in plastic. It is not as rugged as the solid metal, but doesn't break off. Also, neither nylon or metal blades last long when trimming against stone or field fence. In open grass, the metal blades work like a laser and will even cut woody stems 1/2" easily.