Tractor
    m8540

Default walk behind vs garden tractor

members: this topic may be a dead horse already beat but.....will resume fairly large garden (1/4+ acre) and am looking @ equip options....already have large 85 hp tractor w/plow, disc, tiller, but need to decide on smaller equip to work it. looking @ BCS/ Grillo walk behind w/implements, or small kubota garden tractor (w/fel) w/same implements.....what are your thoughts of virtues of one over the other? phy. activity is not a problem for me. thanks in advance bb

Gold Member
    Tractor
    Two Gravely Two L One with 10 h.p Dek-Diesel engine one Grillo 107d and one BCS 735 diesel

Default Re: walk behind vs garden tractor

Hi! For garden. BCS and Grillo are better because more narrow for go between rows. Good Luck! Oldmech

Gold Member
    Tractor
    John Deere 2006 4320 CUT, 1970 Power King 2416

I second Old Mech on the walk behind. After crops get to a certain point, the only way to cultivate is running the middles as opposed to straddling the rows. The older small garden tractors were narrow enough that you didn't have to space the rows too wide, but I think that you would lose too much crop area with the newer small tractors that I have seen.

Jim

Tractor
    m8540

thanks to you both on that input....guess i'm now looking at the grillo 107d with tiller, rotary plow, & furrow er. the bcs 853 is another one, but more pricey for essentially the same equipment. any feedback on this grillo model (from earthworks) would be helpful. thanks again bb

Tractor
    Kubota BX2360

Agree with the fella's above. We market garden that much or more but needed a tractor for snow, for mowing an acre, utility work, etc. I decided on the B2320 kubota, because it has a fairly narrow track and outstanding ground clearance, which does allow me to plow, drag, and cultivate plants as high as 8-10 inches.

Since you already have a tractor for the heavy stuff, a dedicated two wheeled tractor would be pretty nifty.
    BP

"Some chickens, some gardens and a Kubota."

Tractor
    m8540

bp: nice patch setup! interesting fence too....tomorrow i begin dozing old fence rows, etc. to set up garden spot....the fence is the next big challenge as the farm is remote in the ozarks w/plenty of deer, wild hogs, coons, etc....guess will do a combo of net wire & solar elec. charger (using barb). but the mechanization is now decided thanks to all of your input. keep up good work bb