LT with K46 and Pushing Snow/Dirt

/ LT with K46 and Pushing Snow/Dirt #1  

BillNole

Tractor
2010 Snapper LT200(2044)
I have a new Snapper LT2044 I just got last month. I've found a deal on a used Snow/Dirt Dozer blade and am thinking of getting it to push around some snow on my paved driveway and concrete sidewalks and maybe even a little sod and/or dirt around the yard once the snow is gone. I've read a great deal online regarding problems people have had with the K46 and am curious what other might think of using mine in this way.

I have a new Simplicity snowthrower already mounted and can mount the blade to the snowthrower hitch, with about a 5 minute changeover between the snowthrower and blade or back, so I'm not concerned with damaging the frame of the LT.

I already have 5W-50 Synthetic oil on-hand from Tuff Torq to change to as soon as I get to the first oil change at 50 hours. Due to the oncoming winter, I might actually change after 10 hours based on conversations with a Tuff Torq rep, who indicated that would be all that's really needed and the greater advantages of the synthetic. Knowing my history and the minimal cost of 2 quarts of synthetic oil, I'll probably do it again at 50 hours anyway.

I don't plan to be in any hurry when pushing and will take smaller bites and with dirt especially, will take cool down breaks for the tranny as needed. In reality, I only have a couple of small project in mind involving scraping off the sod and leveling out a couple of small planting areas, so it won't be an issue of ongoing projects.

Anyone care to share your thoughts regarding using my LT this way.

/ LT with K46 and Pushing Snow/Dirt #2  
I have a new Snapper LT2044 I just got last month. I've found a deal on a used Snow/Dirt Dozer blade and am thinking of getting it to push around some snow on my paved driveway and concrete sidewalks and maybe even a little sod and/or dirt around the yard once the snow is gone.

I see that you called it a "Dozer blade". What many new tractor owners do is they think they have a full fledged bulldozer, when all they really have is a lawn tractor with a snow blade. Yes, you can use this blade to move snow, and even a moderate pile of dirt or gravel. But you can also easily bend the frame of a small tractor.

John

/ LT with K46 and Pushing Snow/Dirt #3  
Yeah, I'd be careful with that. I use a blade for clearing snow or pushing/grading light topsoil with my LA105 sometimes. If the snow is wet and heavy though, or if I have to move clay, gravel or crushed rock I use something else (sometimes a larger tractor but all to often a shovel because of size restrictions). Lawn tractors just aren't robust enough for the job.

What somebody should build is a robust lawn tractor capable of running a loader, tiller, etc., but with a width just under 36" so it can get through gates and into small spaces. I don't even care if it mows grass. It would be a big seller to guys like me though.

/ LT with K46 and Pushing Snow/Dirt
I see that you called it a "Dozer blade". What many new tractor owners do is they think they have a full fledged bulldozer, when all they really have is a lawn tractor with a snow blade. Yes, you can use this blade to move snow, and even a moderate pile of dirt or gravel. But you can also easily bend the frame of a small tractor.

John

Well John, I call it a "Dozer blade" because that's what Simplicity calls it. More accurately, they call it a "Snow/Dozer Blade".

The snowthrower hitch mounted to my LT frame is quite substantial and will do a good job of spreading the load along the length of the frame. I agree that full speed, pedal-to-the-metal attempts to knock loose roots/boulders will not only throw me over the hood, but they'll likely break something not intended to break or repair easily or inexpensively. My plans only include cutting up sod and then pushing around a little soft dirt, not really digging.

My greater concern is the tranny, which I've read a good deal about. Some love it and some hate it. My dealer believes I'll kill it just by mounting a snowthrower (the one recommended by Simplicity/Snapper) and wheel weights (again, the ones recommended by Simplicity/Snapper) but he's always been way overprotective of any power equipment. He also said I'd kill my old Troy-Bilt pulling my utility trailer around the yard, but it's still doing just fine after 8 years.

Thanks for the feedback John. I will be very careful and will only push dirt on very rare occasion. I expect that after the few times I have plans for now, I'll probably never do so again and will only use it for the lighter snowfalls we get. For the heavier stuff, I'll mount up the snowthrower and have at it with that.

Thanks again!

Last edited:
   / LT with K46 and Pushing Snow/Dirt #5  
It should work for that. Mine does.

I'm not familiar with the LT 2044, but I'm pretty sure it's not lighter duty than my LA105. Stick with a lower gear (I'd say 1st, but I seem to be the only person on the planet with that kind of patience), and the transmission will likely be okay.

If not...well repairs are all part of the fun, aren't they?

/ LT with K46 and Pushing Snow/Dirt #6  
The K46 is the weakest transaxle TuffTorq makes. I would not use it to push unless you want to replace it. Only the K7X series is rated for ground engaging work.

Thanks Rev, but being a hydro, the K46 doesn't really have gears, having only direction and speed more or less...

Since Snapper sells a blade for it and the Tuff Torq rep told me it should be fine as long as I'm reasonable in what I ask it to do at any one time, I feel pretty good about not being likely to tear it up too soon.

I am looking forward to the day I get to rebuild it and introduce a limited slip, but hopefully that's 10 years away. Or more!?!?!?

I think I'm going to go ahead and get the blade and if the tranny sings too much with dirt I just won't do that anymore. It will be great for snow anyway.

Happy Thanksgiving!

/ LT with K46 and Pushing Snow/Dirt #8  
Thanks for the feedback John. I will be very careful and will only push dirt on very rare occasion. I expect that after the few times I have plans for now, I'll probably never do so again and will only use it for the lighter snowfalls we get. For the heavier stuff, I'll mount up the snowthrower and have at it with that.

Thanks again!

I'll admit for moving snow, nothing beats a blade. I can clear my driveway far faster with the blade than with my walk behind blower. In fact, I have cleared a half mile of road at times. And tractor mounted blowers are not at all cheap, at least for my tractor. Yes, my blade can move some dirt and gravel too.

My walk behind blower always throws snow in my face. With the winds we have swirling around here, somehow the snow is always directed straight into my face. On the other hand, I can push up to about a foot of snow. Much past that and I need to pull out the blower.

Both tools meet their design goals, as long as I respect their limits.

John

I'd be reluctant to push more than just a few inches with mine, since I have the blower to switch to and still have my year old Ariens 2-stage walk behind until I decide I'm happy with the tractor setup and sell it.

I'm not too concerned with the snow, but may chicken out on dirt if I don't like the reaction of my machine the first time I try that.

Thanks for the feedback guys!

/ LT with K46 and Pushing Snow/Dirt #10