Do walnut trees kill spruce and silver maples?

/ Do walnut trees kill spruce and silver maples? #1  

sixdogs

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota M7040, Kubota MX5100, Deere 790 TLB, Farmall Super C
In searching for walnut tree "toxicity" and tomato plants--they are very toxic--I found a number of sites that discuss the toxicity of walnut trees against Norway Spruce and Silver Maple trees. The conventional wisdom says you cannot plant Norway Spruce or Silver Maple, (plus a host of other things) within 50 ft of the dripline of a walnut tree.
Well, I planted a couple of walnut trees--and two pecan trees--in my yard. Problem is, I aslo planted 550 Norway Spruce and about 10 silver maple that are pretty important to me.

After reading what I read, I figure I have a problem and need to get those two walut trees out of here. Maybe pecans as well. I know they are very toxic to tomatoes but the tree thing is new to me. Before I dig out those two nice walnut trees, anyone know any more about this toxicity issue as it relates to the spruce and maple mentioned??

/ Do walnut trees kill spruce and silver maples? #2  
They are not the killers that they are cracked up to be. They may slow down the growth of some other trees, but it is not like things can't grow around walnuts. I have both silver maple and norway spruce growing with black walnut trees, so no death wish from them that I can see. There are some broadleaf plants (tomato is one) that struggle to grow under walnut.
I suspect the articles referred to the affects of the black walnut on the distance from the tree. But sure couldn't classify the black walnut as "very toxic" to norway spruce and silver maple.

/ Do walnut trees kill spruce and silver maples? #3  
I've also heard that black walnut trees hurt other trees in their root line. I just searched and found a link to Ohio State University Extension service which is pretty clear that black walnuts will not coexist well with Silver Maple or Norway Spruce. (I dont remember the rules about embedding links in TBN, so I wont)

/ Do walnut trees kill spruce and silver maples? #4  
There's only one way to be sure. I'll just have to harvest...er... remove the offending goldmine...um, I mean damaging walnut trees from your valuable... that is to say, delicate property. I'll need to confiscate... um... eradicate the larger furniture grade... I mean, more damaging trees first, so I can get an idea how much money can be made.... D-oh!... how much future damage can be avoided in the future... Oh, never-mind! :p

Joe

/ Do walnut trees kill spruce and silver maples?
Thanks, guys.

Marveltone--they aren't very big, maybe 15 ft. tall so no furniture value. I have made things from walnut and stumps so I know the value. Lots of marginal walnut gets burned as firewood around here and if I see anything good, I'm on it.

Gary in Minn--I live near the Ohio State you mention so I figure they are another good source. My situation is living on the flat, bare farm ground where the wind is severe. So I planted 550 Norway and other Spruces and 10 Silver Maple. These are my prize trees in shelter belts and landscape.
I did plant two walnut seedlings and two pecans that are on my "lawn" and surrounded my my beautiful windbreak trees. If the walnuts need to go, now is the time.

/ Do walnut trees kill spruce and silver maples? #6  
walnut produces a chemical called juglone that acts like a herbicide and will cause damage to more succeptible plants around the tree. The majority of the chemical is found in the husk of the walnuts themselves but is also found in the roots,bark and the leaves. Was just reading that even after you remove the tree the soil can still be toxic for several years.