Briggs and Stratton won't start.

/ Briggs and Stratton won't start. #1  

ChuckinVA

Silver Member
Tractor
kubota B7610
Briggs and Stratton won\'t start.

I purchased over the week end a tiller with a 5HP Briggs and Stratton engine. I do not have any spark. I replaced the Magneto armature (coil ) with an electronic ignition today and still no spark. I checked the air gap, the magnets are pulling down I replaced the plug but still no spark. Any suggestions of what to check next?

/ Briggs and Stratton won't start. #2  
Re: Briggs and Stratton won\'t start.

If you replaced the mag then you should be familiar with the grounding lead that connects to the mag. This is what normally shuts down the engine and or connects to the safety switch neutral start system. Make sure everything is in neutral and disengaged. Temporarily disconnect the small black lead and see if you get spark. If you do, the problem is in the interlock system or shutdown switch.

/ Briggs and Stratton won't start.

Kubmech,

You are correct. I removed the wire from the terminal on the coil and I now have spark. This is an older Allis Chalmers tiller. I'm guessing late 70s or early eighties model. There is a tab on top of the motor housing that looks like it might have been a kill mechanism at one time. Any thing wrong with mounting a single pole switch on the sheet metal somewhere, attach the black wire to one side and attach a wire to the other side to a bolt on the housing to use as a kill switch ?

Kubmech,

I put it back together and tried to start it. It started , ran for a few seconds and then shut down.

I took the air filter off and tried it again. After 6-7 pulls it started again and ran for a few seconds and then shut down.
I have fresh gas.
I noticed the lever that the throttle cable is attached to moved as the engine was shutting down. Should there be a spring that holds tension against the lever to prevent this from doing this ? There is a tiny spring with a L shaped end over top of the throttle cable but I don't see a location for it to attach. I appreciate your help. I really want to get this thing running. ( My wife can't believe I spent $ 20.00 on a tiller that doesn't run. ) When I get it running I'll be very satisfied I only paid $20.00 for it !

/ Briggs and Stratton won't start. #5  

Chuck, The wiring for shutdown you described will work. The only problem is if this tiller had a safety shutdown system this will render it inoperative. Therefore while operating and it gets away from you it will continue to run. Also it will start even if the tines and or drive sytem is engaged. So you will have to be extra careful and aware when operating. Being an older unit it may not have these systems installed. As far as the linkage it would be very difficult to try to talk you through getting that hooked up properly. Keep in mind that the governor linkage has to be right in order to run properly. Trial and error could be risky do to the possibility that the engine speed could get away from you and cause major damage if linkage is not properly hooked up and adjusted. Other possibilities that may be causing this problem could also be related to the carberator and fuel pickup. Tillers in general do alot of sitting around not running so they are prone to stale gas gumming up the jets and needle valves in the carberator. If you have the model with the pulse-jet carb (mounts on top of fuel tank) it could be a dry/stiff diaphram causing you some problems, a clogged pickup tube screen, or all of the above. At this point I would highly recommend purchasing the factory single cylinder 4 cycle engine briggs manual, the one I have is pretty old but the part number is 270962-3/92. I think the last three numbers are the month and date of publish. Anyway, the manual is very clear and gives good illustrations for gov. linkage as well as clear instructions for going into the carb if needed. Another option is see if the local small engine dealer will let you copy some of the pages out of his manual. I know I used to do that for people who needed it.
But don't be suprised if they frown on that. Hey maybe even some time spent doing some searches may turn something up on the net. Have the engine numbers handy, they should be stamped on the shroud near the cyl head.

Kubmech,

Thanks for the insight. I don't think there are any safety shut downs on this unit at least I don't see any indication of it. The tiller is belt driven and I think if it gets away from you it just goes. thats why I want to put a safety shut off switch on it.

I think I'm just not getting fuel. I pulled the plug and put a teaspoon of gas in it and it ran until it burned the gas and then quit. What is strange is the lever operating after the mower starts. Almost acts like a governor pulling it back down to idle. Any way, I'll see if I can get the manual you suggested, 270962-3/92 or the current model and start going through it. Thanks again for your help.

/ Briggs and Stratton won't start. #7  

The lever you are describing sounds like the gov linkage and movement would be normal. It's connected to the internal gov assy. or airvane gov. under the shroud depending on your model briggs. Usually when the engine is shutting down the gov linkage will attempt to drive the butterfly full open to compensate for decreasing engine speed. Depending on throttle setting.

/ Briggs and Stratton won't start. #8  

The problem could be the fuel pump diaphragm located on the side of the carb. After time these rubber parts stiffen up and will not pump enough fuel to keep the engine running.
Very easy to replace just watch how it comes apart.

Bill

Thanks Bill,
My dad suggested the diaphram might be the culprit as well. I downloaded the parts list from B & S for this motor. I have ordered the manual Kubmech suggested. I'm hoping it will get here this weekend so I can start going through it. I haven't repaired anything like this before so I'm looking forward to solving it. I'll try and post my progress. I hope to be tilling soon !