Z-Beast?

/ Z-Beast? #1  

Chuck52

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L210
So, after last year, when I shopped around for a zero turn and then had to make do with my old riding mower for another season, I'm back in the market. This time SWMBO insists I get something reliable so she won't have to hear me complain. Last year I got interested in an Ariens at Home Depot, which had pretty good looking components. It was at least as heavy duty as any of the brands I looked at, with a better price. The big problem I saw was service. I went by HD again yesterday and was somewhat reassured when told that warranty service would be handled by a local company (more than one, actually) with a decent reputation. I also asked the sales guy about the Z-Beast machines HD has on their web site. These are so far only sold on-line. They are made by a company in North Carolina named GXi which also sells their stuff under the DEK name. Anyone heard of these? HD has a 62" 7 gauge deck, 31HP Kaw engine model, for $4999.

Z-Beast 62 in. 31 HP Kawasaki Commercial Zero Turn Mower Free Rollbar and Headlights - 62ZB at The Home Depot

Sounds like a lot for the money. Opinions?

Chuck

/ Z-Beast?
GXi also makes the Stanley brand mowers. Look exactly like the Z-Beasts with different paint. I am concerned about the "patented" transmission.

Chuck

/ Z-Beast? #3  
i was in the market last year and on a limited budget. My woods 6182 52" front mount ztr had a blown 18 hp briggs that was going to cost overall about $2000. I was looking at fixing that or buying entry level homeowner grade ZTR that i did not think much of for reliability. i looked and looked and then i got huge lucky. Found a dealer with a 2001 used 750hr 60" Kubota Diesel ZD21 for $3500. For only 1500 more than I was going to Have to spend, i could get reliability and a bigger cut. Bought it and i love it. it wont quite trim where the front mount would go, but that diesel don't use much fuel at...about 1/2 as much gas as the old woods 18hp used and it cuts great. i am in the country and cutting about 3 acres and the 60" over the 52" has cut about 1/2 hr off my cutting time. I would consider a used Commercial grade mower!

/ Z-Beast? #4  
I would agree with ae-ted on finding a low hour true commercial unit - I see these occasionally for $4000-5000 for 52-60" and Kawasaki engines.

Also Chuck, the "patented transmission" what is this exactly - sounds fishy. Most commercial use separate pumps and wheel motors and then there are the all in one drivetrain for each wheel. I would investigate this a bit more.

The weight - 700lbs is telling as well, when the Scag, Ferris, Exmark etc, are all 1100-1200 lbs in the same size range. How did they cut 300 lbs w/o sacrificing some build quality?

When I was looking last year (and the year before that), my wife also said - get one, but get a good one that will last. Well, these opportunities only happen once every 20 yrs, so I got what I wanted - spent $7K for a new 2009 leftover Ferris IS2000.

/ Z-Beast?
Thanks for the input guys. I've kinda moved on from the Z-Beast. The other mower at HD was an Ariens, and I was concerned about service. Checking on the Ariens led me to a local dealer who carries both the Gravely and Bad Boy ZTRs. They have the exact same mower as the HD Ariens in the Gravely color scheme. For the same money , $4999, they also have a Bad Boy. The Bad Boy is heavier built, though the Gravely is no light weight. However, the Bad Boy has a Kohler engine while the Gravely has Kawasaki. The dealer said he thought the Gravely was the better mower, but maybe he makes more money on it. The Gravely warranty is better by 3 vs 2 years. The Bad Boy has a hydraulic deck, which I guess can be nice, but I figure for that kind of adjustment simple is better. So, Kohler Commander Pro vs Kawasaki? The dealer bought a Gravely for his own property, but went up a step to the pro model, but he did say he thought the Gravely was easier to drive than the Bad Boy, with the Bad Boy needing more input to keep it going straight.

I think either of these mowers would do my job, but I am leaning toward the Gravely mainly based on the engine. I'm going to test drive both before I decide.

Chuck

/ Z-Beast? #6  
Chuck,

Look under the "hood" for the hydraulic pumps and motors of each, where most commercial units have separate pumps and wheel motors, then at the build quality, warranty which you are then how does each one feel to you driving it.

I too would lean Kawasaki, vs Kohler but Kohler make good engines too, so dig a bit deeper into the inner workings of each and then compare to the commercial units equipment and features.

At the end of the day, get one you are comfortable with that has the closest to commercial components as mentioned and you feel comfortable using and driving. I sort of think you have found this out already with the gravely maybe being a little more refined/easier to drive?

Good luck in your search and selection and take your time, as this is likely a 15 year + investment.

/ Z-Beast?
Carl,

They are pretty comparable for components. Both use the Hydro-Gear 3100 pumps. The Bad Boy is heavier built and has a hydraulic lift feature for the deck, but I'm not sure I want that particular feature...seems like a fairly useless complication. I'm going to drive both since they are at the same dealer. They also sell Skag, but even the salesman said he bought a Gravely for his mowing since the Skag would have been overkill for his needs, which are similar to mine.

Thanks for the input.

Chuck