Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12
  1. #1

    Default Reliable and inexpensive lawn tractor

    We have 3 acres of somewhat hilly land and are looking for something reliable and inexpensive to buy for mowing. We would like to spend between $1,800 and $2,300 (not much but that is all we have) for a mower, We have a used SABRE but it is beat and not at all reliable. I would welcome any suggestions from anyone that has a mower that gives you little trouble if any. I only have this cash to spend one time so if you suggestions...That would be great! Thanks........

  2. #2
    Super Star Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Posts
    12,220
    Location
    Upper Midwest USA
    Tractor
    JD 4300, JD X485 JD 4x2 Gator, JD 425, JD455

    Default Re: Reliable and inexpensive lawn tractor


    For the price you said you would spend, you will get another Sabre, or its equivalent.

    I've found the Deere 455, or 425, 445 to be a very reliable and long-term investment lawn tractor. Built tough, and they hold their resale value (means you will pay a bit more to get a used one, but will be able to sell it for near what you paid if you maintain it).

    Reliable and inexpensive do not fit together, as they are at opposites if you get what I mean. There is no free lunch.

  3. #3
    Silver Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    129
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Tractor
    John Deere 2720, John Deere GT225

    Default Re: Reliable and inexpensive lawn tractor

    For that price range I would get a used GT series. Tough and very reliable. My 10 year old GT225 has worked hard on rough hilly ground and no problems.

  4. #4
    Platinum Member Carl Bert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    865
    Location
    Rockland county, New York
    Tractor
    Kubota B26, John deere X595

    Default

    I agree with Wes. A GT225 235 or 245 would be a perfect choice, and well within your budget. You might also be able to find an older 345 with low hours. Do a search on eBay and save it, then eBay will email you when one is available. You can't go wrong with any of those. They are very dependable machines. Good luck and let us know what you find.
    2010 Kubota B26 TLB w/hyd thumb. 2004 John Deere X595 w/62" MMM.

    Carl Bertuzzi

  5. #5
    Gold Member BleedGreen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    471
    Location
    Iowa
    Tractor
    John Deere LX178

    Default Re: Reliable and inexpensive lawn tractor

    kml, what area of the country are you in?
    I can run a D100 and a 9560RT (and most of the models in between) all in the same day!!!

  6. #6
    Super Member Iplayfarmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    5,230
    Location
    Idaho
    Tractor
    Massey Ferguson 1215, Toro 266-H, Pennsylvania Panzer, Case 444, Craftsman 14/6

    Default Re: Reliable and inexpensive lawn tractor

    Quote Originally Posted by kml6427 View Post
    We have 3 acres of somewhat hilly land and are looking for something reliable and inexpensive to buy for mowing. We would like to spend between $1,800 and $2,300 (not much but that is all we have) for a mower, We have a used SABRE but it is beat and not at all reliable. I would welcome any suggestions from anyone that has a mower that gives you little trouble if any. I only have this cash to spend one time so if you suggestions...That would be great! Thanks........
    I'm a big fan of used. Of course I do a lot of my own repairs so my cost out of pocket is minimal. You can get a good mower within the budget you mentioned. I pick them up all the time for a tenth of your budget. Of course, they almost always require another $100 or so worth of repairs, but $300 for a $2000 mower is still not bad.

    Local want ads and craigslist are good options for used stuff. There's also John Deere's used equipment network... Used Farm & Agricultural Equipment - John Deere MachineFinder You can do a zip code search to find lawn and garden equipment within your area. 3 acres is a lot of grass, and hills are going to make a difference. Get a big deck and lots of power.
    From now on I will only buy cars that are a silver/grey color. Then I can make all body repairs with Duct Tape.

  7. #7
    Bronze Member 8086bruce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    74
    Location
    Bemidji, MN
    Tractor
    John Deere X720SE

    Default Re: Reliable and inexpensive lawn tractor

    Quote Originally Posted by 2720wes View Post
    For that price range I would get a used GT series. Tough and very reliable. My 10 year old GT225 has worked hard on rough hilly ground and no problems.
    Agree, that would be a great tractor for you!
    2011 JD X720SE
    54" mmm
    54"qiuck hitch blade

  8. #8
    Elite Member SPIKER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Posts
    4,535
    Location
    Ohio, Jeromesville, Ashland County
    Tractor
    Jinma 284

    Default Re: Reliable and inexpensive lawn tractor

    I picked up a 54" gt6000 last week for 2500 & a bit out the door.... should be about what ya want.

    Mark
    I may remember why I went to the other end of the shop, I'm just afraid once I get there I'll forget how to get back!

  9. #9
    Elite Member RalphVa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    3,878
    Location
    Charlottesville, VA, USA
    Tractor
    JD 1025, previously Gravely 5650 & JD 4010

    Default Re: Reliable and inexpensive lawn tractor

    One big bugaboo of mowing tractors is access to the blades for removing them and replacing them. Anyone have any garden tractor mowers where the blades can be easily removed and replaced?

    Many years ago, our church in NJ had Sears mowing tractors. They'd stopped using them and were paying $200/crack for each time a service did the 4 or 5 acres. I told them that I'd do it if they'd let me buy a ZTR mower. Bought one with a 3 blade deck that you could lift with a little cable lift built it. It was literally a 5 minute job to remove the blades and than another less than 5 minutes to put the sharpened blades back on. That ZTR would do the 4 or 5 acres in half the time needed for the old Sears tractors.

    Mom had a garden tractor that my dad had bought. I looked into removing the blades on it. No way, short of maybe a 1/2 day.

    Ralph
    The natural gardener
    God's original intent

  10. #10
    Platinum Member MESSMAKER's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    997
    Location
    Bluegrass,KY
    Tractor
    Bobcat ct 225

    Default Re: Reliable and inexpensive lawn tractor

    Quote Originally Posted by RalphVa View Post
    One big bugaboo of mowing tractors is access to the blades for removing them and replacing them. Anyone have any garden tractor mowers where the blades can be easily removed and replaced?

    Many years ago, our church in NJ had Sears mowing tractors. They'd stopped using them and were paying $200/crack for each time a service did the 4 or 5 acres. I told them that I'd do it if they'd let me buy a ZTR mower. Bought one with a 3 blade deck that you could lift with a little cable lift built it. It was literally a 5 minute job to remove the blades and than another less than 5 minutes to put the sharpened blades back on. That ZTR would do the 4 or 5 acres in half the time needed for the old Sears tractors.

    Mom had a garden tractor that my dad had bought. I looked into removing the blades on it. No way, short of maybe a 1/2 day.

    Ralph
    You can buy ramps that pick up the tractor as you pull up on them. They make access to the blades much easier.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Tractor Choice Options?
    By tower59 in forum Buying/Pricing/Comparisons
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 12-05-2007, 05:21 PM
  2. Recommendation fo 40 hp old reliable tractor
    By SCDolphin in forum General Vintage Tractors
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 10-22-2006, 11:24 AM
  3. Need help finding a good lawn tractor??
    By inneedoftractor in forum General Lawn & Garden
    Replies: 52
    Last Post: 06-26-2006, 10:41 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
© 2014 TractorByNet.com. TractorByNet is a registered trademark of IMC Digital Universe, Inc. Other trademarks on this page are the property of their respective owners.