Reliable and inexpensive lawn tractor

/ Reliable and inexpensive lawn tractor #1  

kml6427

We have 3 acres of somewhat hilly land and are looking for something reliable and inexpensive to buy for mowing. We would like to spend between $1,800 and $2,300 (not much but that is all we have) for a mower, We have a used SABRE but it is beat and not at all reliable. I would welcome any suggestions from anyone that has a mower that gives you little trouble if any. I only have this cash to spend one time so if you suggestions...That would be great! Thanks........

/ Reliable and inexpensive lawn tractor #2  
:welcome:
For the price you said you would spend, you will get another Sabre, or its equivalent.

I've found the Deere 455, or 425, 445 to be a very reliable and long-term investment lawn tractor. Built tough, and they hold their resale value (means you will pay a bit more to get a used one, but will be able to sell it for near what you paid if you maintain it).

Reliable and inexpensive do not fit together, as they are at opposites if you get what I mean. There is no free lunch.

/ Reliable and inexpensive lawn tractor #3  
For that price range I would get a used GT series. Tough and very reliable. My 10 year old GT225 has worked hard on rough hilly ground and no problems.

/ Reliable and inexpensive lawn tractor #4  
I agree with Wes. A GT225 235 or 245 would be a perfect choice, and well within your budget. You might also be able to find an older 345 with low hours. Do a search on eBay and save it, then eBay will email you when one is available. You can't go wrong with any of those. They are very dependable machines. Good luck and let us know what you find.

/ Reliable and inexpensive lawn tractor #5  
kml, what area of the country are you in?

/ Reliable and inexpensive lawn tractor #6  
We have 3 acres of somewhat hilly land and are looking for something reliable and inexpensive to buy for mowing. We would like to spend between $1,800 and $2,300 (not much but that is all we have) for a mower, We have a used SABRE but it is beat and not at all reliable. I would welcome any suggestions from anyone that has a mower that gives you little trouble if any. I only have this cash to spend one time so if you suggestions...That would be great! Thanks........

I'm a big fan of used. Of course I do a lot of my own repairs so my cost out of pocket is minimal. You can get a good mower within the budget you mentioned. I pick them up all the time for a tenth of your budget. Of course, they almost always require another $100 or so worth of repairs, but $300 for a $2000 mower is still not bad.

Local want ads and craigslist are good options for used stuff. There's also John Deere's used equipment network... Used Farm & Agricultural Equipment - John Deere MachineFinder You can do a zip code search to find lawn and garden equipment within your area. 3 acres is a lot of grass, and hills are going to make a difference. Get a big deck and lots of power.

/ Reliable and inexpensive lawn tractor #7  
For that price range I would get a used GT series. Tough and very reliable. My 10 year old GT225 has worked hard on rough hilly ground and no problems.

Agree, that would be a great tractor for you!

/ Reliable and inexpensive lawn tractor #8  
I picked up a 54" gt6000 last week for 2500 & a bit out the door.... should be about what ya want.

Mark

/ Reliable and inexpensive lawn tractor #9  
One big bugaboo of mowing tractors is access to the blades for removing them and replacing them. Anyone have any garden tractor mowers where the blades can be easily removed and replaced?

Many years ago, our church in NJ had Sears mowing tractors. They'd stopped using them and were paying $200/crack for each time a service did the 4 or 5 acres. I told them that I'd do it if they'd let me buy a ZTR mower. Bought one with a 3 blade deck that you could lift with a little cable lift built it. It was literally a 5 minute job to remove the blades and than another less than 5 minutes to put the sharpened blades back on. That ZTR would do the 4 or 5 acres in half the time needed for the old Sears tractors.

Mom had a garden tractor that my dad had bought. I looked into removing the blades on it. No way, short of maybe a 1/2 day.

Ralph

/ Reliable and inexpensive lawn tractor #10  
One big bugaboo of mowing tractors is access to the blades for removing them and replacing them. Anyone have any garden tractor mowers where the blades can be easily removed and replaced?

Many years ago, our church in NJ had Sears mowing tractors. They'd stopped using them and were paying $200/crack for each time a service did the 4 or 5 acres. I told them that I'd do it if they'd let me buy a ZTR mower. Bought one with a 3 blade deck that you could lift with a little cable lift built it. It was literally a 5 minute job to remove the blades and than another less than 5 minutes to put the sharpened blades back on. That ZTR would do the 4 or 5 acres in half the time needed for the old Sears tractors.

Mom had a garden tractor that my dad had bought. I looked into removing the blades on it. No way, short of maybe a 1/2 day.

Ralph

You can buy ramps that pick up the tractor as you pull up on them. They make access to the blades much easier.