Kohler K241 Engine Spark Issue When Hot.

/ Kohler K241 Engine Spark Issue When Hot. #1  
Tractor
Massey Ferguson GC1720, Yanmar 155d
Hey All-

I've got a Kohler K241 10hp that will start and run great when cold. It will warm up and run great when hot too. The problem is when I start it hot, it will start and idle rough and the second I put any throttle to it the engine will die.

I am fairly certain this is a spark related issue because applying the choke will totally flood the engine- there is plenty of fuel. The points and condenser are new. The timing is set perfectly (I set it static, then checked it with a timing light). It has a magneto ignition system.

I have an idea what it is, but I'm not too familiar the Kohler K series and would like another opinion.

Thank you!

Last edited:
   / Kohler K241 Engine Spark Issue When Hot. #2  
Hey All-

I've got a Kohler K241 10hp that will start and run great when cold. It will warm up and run great when hot too. The problem is when I start it hot, it will start and idle rough and the second I put any throttle to it the engine will die.

I am fairly certain this is a spark related issue because applying the choke will totally flood the engine- there is plenty of fuel. The points and condenser are new. The timing is set perfectly (I set it static, then checked it with a timing light). It has a magneto ignition system.

I have an idea what it is, but I'm not too familiar the Kohler K series and would like another opinion.

Thank you!

Had the same problem with a K301 at it turned out to be the main ignition coil. When cold it tested fine but once warm tractor would run rough at idle and not rev up at all. May want to check the points and condensor just to make sure they are not damaged either. I replaced everything and tractor has run good for several years now.

Roy

/ Kohler K241 Engine Spark Issue When Hot.
I was pretty sure that's what it was.

The magneto is special and I don't know if it's even available. It has a flashing coil (three wires and a spark wire instead of one wire and a spark wire) because this engine is on a welder.

I think I'm going to convert it to battery ignition.

Thanks!