craftsman 2 lawn tractor no traction grassy hills

/ craftsman 2 lawn tractor no traction grassy hills #1  

Johnny Rigo17

Tractor
craftsman ii model 917254312
I am in process of restoring 14hp craftsman 2 lawn tractor. Motor runs good and cuts great. My problem is wheels spinning on grassy hill, cant get traction. Also motor only runs on choke. realize I have carburetor problem. Any ideas that will help. Craftsman model 917254312. Have searched everywhere for a owners manual on interet and even Sears, nowhere to be found.

/ craftsman 2 lawn tractor no traction grassy hills #2  
I am in process of restoring 14hp craftsman 2 lawn tractor. Motor runs good and cuts great. My problem is wheels spinning on grassy hill, cant get traction. Also motor only runs on choke. realize I have carburetor problem. Any ideas that will help. Craftsman model 917254312. Have searched everywhere for a owners manual on interet and even Sears, nowhere to be found.

Wheels spinning is a traction issue, better tires, chains or more weight. Turf tires on wet grass are similar to a "hog on Ice". Neither one gets anywhere fast.

Carb issue sounds like the jets need to be cleaned. If the engine is briggs and stratton that have an excellent parts list on their web site. If it Tecumseh you might find a parts list some where. Engine should have model and type or code stamped on the fly wheel housing.

/ craftsman 2 lawn tractor no traction grassy hills #3  
I'm sure this is not the answer your looking for: but for safety reasons a lawn tractor is designed for and has the appropriate tires to get traction on grass/Lawns... mostly level lawns, perhaps the issue is that the tractors are not design to climb hills,

Sure! I've attempt to climb hills with the same results ( No traction ) who hasn't:cool: I've found the best approach for cutting grass on hills is to ride down the hill slowly, although I'm not talking about a ski slope hill, just a mild 30* or less grade;) but if traction is what you desire, I have seen folks use ATV style knobby tires installed on the rear... this should get you up a hill

I've also read where folks have used liquid in the rear tires for better traction,

Last edited:
   / craftsman 2 lawn tractor no traction grassy hills #4  
The rear tires probably take 8lbs of air, try 6lbs.
Wheel weights, especially cast iron, do wonders.

/ craftsman 2 lawn tractor no traction grassy hills #5  
For me, I got some aggressive type rear tires for my lawn tractor.........All the difference in the world. Before I could not even come close to going up a grade; but NOW.......nothing stops it.........Yes, it can tear up the lawn, but if one is judiscious one tears up NOTHING..........God bless.....Dennis

/ craftsman 2 lawn tractor no traction grassy hills
I let air out of the back tires and it's doing great now! Thanks