Kohler Carb

/ Kohler Carb #1  

Anonymous Poster

I've rebuilt a Kohler K241 (new rod, piston, valves), and am having a bit of trouble with the carb and governor. I can set the governor to where it is fine at idle and wide-open throttle, but tends to hunt a bit in the mid-range. Any tips on this? I've not altered the positions where the spring attaches to the linkages yet. Possible play with those settings?

As far as the carb (not sure what brand), it seems to load up a bit at the high end, doesn't seem like it's supplying the power it should. I'm going to rebuild it, put in a new fuel line, and clean out the seperator and tank. Any other ideas? I've adjusted the high speed screw so that it does not backfire at the top end.

Thanks for the help!

/ Kohler Carb #2  
sounds like the throttle shaft is worn.Try moving it side to side if their is some play you have to drill it and put in a bushing.What happens is when their is play it lets air into the motor which will cause the motor to hunt at mid range.

/ Kohler Carb #3  
Do you think the carb is original equipment? If you can find any markings on the carb or research which carb Kohler used as original equipment, you might be able to find a rebuild kit at a reasonable cost. Such a kit might cost you $50, or so, and would include all your gaskets, throttle shaft, power needle, idle needle, float shaft, float valve assembly, all the needle seals, etc. You could probably tinker with it and regain your power, but a kit should take care of this problem and the next one you haven't even met yet.

/ Kohler Carb #4  
Are you sure your power problems are in the carb.? Could it possibly be a timing issue. I use a timing light. Preliminary settings on k241 Kohler carb--low idle 2 1/2 turns out, high idle 2 turns out
walbro fixed jet--low idle 1 1/4 turns out
walbro adjustable jet--low idle 1 3/4 out, main fuel--1 1/8 out