Rear wheel removal

/ Rear wheel removal #1  

AndyG

Silver Member
I am helping my brother put new tires on his JD 185 Hydro. The rear wheels slide onto a keyed axle and are retained by a snap ring. We have the snap rings off but the wheel will not slide off. I suspect that the hubs are rusted to the axle. I need advise on how to get these wheels off..... please.

/ Rear wheel removal #2  
A wheel puller may be your best bet.

/ Rear wheel removal #3  
beat on it. use a wood block and a mallet on the inside of the wheel.

/ Rear wheel removal #4  
Spray some WD40 inside there and then try.

/ Rear wheel removal #5  
You might try some PB Blaster and let it set for a while, but if worse comes to worse, and the other methods fail, applying some modest heat with a torch might get you there, the expansion and contraction will often break the rust. Of course now you know to grease the shaft at least once a year, you will never have a problem doing that, and it only takes a few minutes.

James K0UA

/ Rear wheel removal #6  
All of the above are good, heat is sometimes amazing on how it pops a stubborn part off without effort. Just watch for anything that COULD burn. Also putting a board across the wheel and giving it a hit with a small sledge (start with light taps and move up carefully) will sometimes break it loose.
Good luck

/ Rear wheel removal #7  
Beating on it may transfer damaging shock into the transaxle. I'd be at least cautious about the beating unless knowing what won't happen.
I use a new penetrant called RustReaper that has loosened many a rusted bolt, nut, and things that are supposed to slide. Have used it for 3-4 years now.
Rust Reaper the Multi-Purpose Lubricant

A little bottle has gone a very long way for me. Just takes a small drop on a rusted bolt thread.

/ Rear wheel removal #8  
I recently changed a set of wheels out on my Lawn tractor with the keyed axle shaft, I used every method possible,the only thing that worked was what I call a chicken foot puller, some wheels have a 2 small holes just out from the center, if it doesn't simply drill some holes directly across from each other about 2" away from center mount hole, you then run the puller bolts through these holes and install a large washer and nut from the backside, twist the large center puller bolt at give it a tap with a hammer, you may have to repeat this many time before it actually breaks free,
BTW tell Your Bro its a good idea to pull these type wheels 1 time a year and put grease on this area to prevent future rusting;)

Last edited:
   / Rear wheel removal
I'll have to retrieve the torch from Dad's shop. The wheel does not have holes in it now but it will probably get them. It may take the puller and heat to get these suckers off. This tractor as probably 25 years old and I'm sure that a wheel has never been off of it.

/ Rear wheel removal #10  
You can get new tires on without taking the wheels off the tractor. If that is the only reason for removing the wheels.