Default Better tires for a zero turn???

Does anyone know if you could use ATV tires on a zero turn mower for increased traction? My ZD326 is terrible with the stock turf tires on it. They are 26x12-12 turf tires and I've found some ATV tires this size and wonder if they would work? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Tractor
    2009 Kubota RTV 900, 2009 Kubota B26 TLB & 2010 model LS P7010

Default Re: Better tires for a zero turn???

Some of the commercial mowers come with a tractor grip type of drive tire. The bars are not very high and they should work well. Check your local dealers. I saw a set of 4 for sale on craigslist just a few days ago but I cant find the ad now.
    2010 LS P-7010C 20F/20R gear tractor & FEL, 2009 Kubota B 26 TLB, RTV 900 Kubota,17 foot Lund boat with 70HP motor, 2012-20 ft 12k GVW trailer, 2011- 52" Craftsman ZTR mower, 2013 Ferris Zero Turn, 3 weed whackers, pressure washer, leaf blowers, 7 foot bush hog, 8 foot landscape rake , 8 foot 3 PH disc, 2 row cultivator, 350 amp Miller AC/DC welding machine and all the tools needed to keep them all repaired and running.

Tractor
    Kubota MX5100

Quote Originally Posted by jspeedracer88 View Post
    Does anyone know if you could use ATV tires on a zero turn mower for increased traction? My ZD326 is terrible with the stock turf tires on it. They are 26x12-12 turf tires and I've found some ATV tires this size and wonder if they would work? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
    ANY tire the same size "will" work.

But how well it will work is a different story.

ZTR mowers DONT have agressive tread because of the ability to "zero-turn".

I think you will find the better traction of the atv tire will come at a price. That is, tearing up the turf when you turn. And unless it is really soft/muddy, why do you need more traction?? Are you using it to pull things with?? and if it is that soft/muddy, I doubt a more agressive tire is going to help much.
    ".........there is only one way to find out."
    "Ok, hold my beer and watch this.........."

Ford 5500 Backhoe
    Kubota MX5100HST w/LA844
    2005 Dodge 3500 4x4 Diesel
    8N Rebuilt and restored
    Bushhog 306
    3 Homemade wood hauling trailers
    Dolmar 6400 84cc ported
    Sachs-Dolmar 120SI Ported
    (4) Sachs-Dolmar 116SI Ported
    Dolmar PS540
    Sachs-Dolmar 115i
    Sachs-Dolmar 117
    Sachs-Dolmar 112

Tractor
    JD 2320

Took the originals off and put these on ours and they work fine in the spring and early summer but as the ground dried out and became hard the less traction I had.
    Better tires for a zero turn???-image4-jpg
    We ended up with these. They will rip up the lawn when you spin them or make tight turns if not careful but all and all it ends up being far less. As for the original tires all I did was spin and left marks everywhere. We have had these on for about 4 years, way less tire spin.
    Better tires for a zero turn???-all_trail-jpg
    JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, FEL Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD, The Wife

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo2 View Post
    Took the originals off and put these on ours and they work fine in the spring and early summer but as the ground dried out and became hard the less traction I had.
    Better tires for a zero turn???-image4-jpg
    We ended up with these. They will rip up the lawn when you spin them or make tight turns if not careful but all and all it ends up being far less. As for the original tires all I did was spin and left marks everywhere. We have had these on for about 4 years, way less tire spin.
    Better tires for a zero turn???-all_trail-jpg
    What kind of tires are those, brand? Thanks

Tractor
    JD 2320

Carlisle All Trail Tire
    Carlisle All Trail ATV Tires
    JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, FEL Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD, The Wife

Tractor
    Kubota B7800, B26 TLB

Quote Originally Posted by jspeedracer88 View Post
    I have had the very same thoughts but have not bought different tires as of yet. I am of the mind they would help. I will report back if I decide to get new rears.
    Working to increase the scope of the small tractor experience, one quick attach at a time.

Tractor
    jd 1070

Carlisle All Trail Tire
    I have exactly these same tires on my F935. Traction is poor on grass, worse than the 1/2 worn tirf tires I replaced. I've tried several inflation pressures to fix the traction problem but lower pressure to increase traction causes increased lawn tear-up.
    There is no "I" in team, but there is a "Me" if you want to jumble it up a bit...

Tractor
    Kubota MX5100

Quote Originally Posted by zzvyb6 View Post
    I have exactly these same tires on my F935. Traction is poor on grass, worse than the 1/2 worn tirf tires I replaced. I've tried several inflation pressures to fix the traction problem but lower pressure to increase traction causes increased lawn tear-up.
    I am still of the belief that the turfs that come on them are fine. The provide ample traction under the conditions that you should be mowing in. Yet dont tear up the lawn when turning. And the two ZTR's that I have used (scag wildcat and bobcat ZT223) which are both ~1100lb+ machines, the few times we mowed where we shouldn't have and got stuck, it is unlikely that a different tire would have helped. It probabally only would have burried it deeper.
    ".........there is only one way to find out."
    "Ok, hold my beer and watch this.........."

Ford 5500 Backhoe
    Kubota MX5100HST w/LA844
    2005 Dodge 3500 4x4 Diesel
    8N Rebuilt and restored
    Bushhog 306
    3 Homemade wood hauling trailers
    Dolmar 6400 84cc ported
    Sachs-Dolmar 120SI Ported
    (4) Sachs-Dolmar 116SI Ported
    Dolmar PS540
    Sachs-Dolmar 115i
    Sachs-Dolmar 117
    Sachs-Dolmar 112

Veteran Member

Carlisle All Trail Tire
    Without going out to the barn to look, those tires look like the ones I have on my Woods front mount deck mower.

With just over 300 hours on, if I spin, my tires will mud up and I go nowhere even when almost level. No matter the conditions, I need to really be careful turning or will tear up the lawn.

Having recently bought a 66" Swisher to pull behind the Woods, I too am thinking of some kind of lug tire.