Briggs & Stratton Leaking Oil

/ Briggs & Stratton Leaking Oil #1  

Localmotion

Gold Member
Tractor
New Holland 50-86 / Siromer 204S / Case CK-28 / Cat 302.5 / Nissan L35.09 / Nissan Atleon 110
Just had a customer call (11:30pm on a Sunday!) - he has a small ride on lawn mower powered by a vertical shaft Briggs & Stratton Engine...

He was mowing his lawn this evening, and noticed a trail of oil following him - luckily he had the sence to stop the engine immediately and look for the source of the leak. He says the engine has lost nearly all it's oil, but can't see where it's coming from - looks like it's at the bottom of the engine near the drive shaft.

I'm going to collect the mower tomorrow and get it back here to have a proper look - but just wondered if anybody has experience with Briggs & Stratton Engines, or has had a similar problem?

Thanks is advance for any help you can offer :thumbsup:

/ Briggs & Stratton Leaking Oil #2  
Just had a customer call (11:30pm on a Sunday!) - he has a small ride on lawn mower powered by a vertical shaft Briggs & Stratton Engine...

He was mowing his lawn this evening, and noticed a trail of oil following him - luckily he had the sence to stop the engine immediately and look for the source of the leak. He says the engine has lost nearly all it's oil, but can't see where it's coming from - looks like it's at the bottom of the engine near the drive shaft.

I'm going to collect the mower tomorrow and get it back here to have a proper look - but just wondered if anybody has experience with Briggs & Stratton Engines, or has had a similar problem?

Thanks is advance for any help you can offer :thumbsup:

I've had crankshaft seals leak but not to that extent. This sounds like a cracked sump or a loose drain plug.

Jim

/ Briggs & Stratton Leaking Oil #3  
Not sure. But could be the shaft seal on the bottom of the oil pan. Or could be the pan gasket itself.

Chad

/ Briggs & Stratton Leaking Oil #4  
Briggs had a problem some years back with the fit of the sump to the crankcase. At first they said the sump bolts were a hair too long to properly tighten. There was a fix kit available and the issue was covered under warranty. When that didn't work, they revised the torque spec' for the bolts. That was also covered under warranty. I guess my point is to check if the leak is coming from the seam between the sump and the crancase.

/ Briggs & Stratton Leaking Oil #5  
I had a 12hp and a 10 hp engine that the lower bolts loosened on and caused a sump type leak...Locktight blue was added with a new gasket...for the cure. Jy.

/ Briggs & Stratton Leaking Oil #6  
I have seen the sump bolts back on on 10-12 hp engines over the years. Had a new 12.5 hp last fall with a casting flaw in the sump. Have seen the gasket harden over the years and then come out and leak oil. Have also seen the crankshaft wear the lower bearing on the engine and leak oil around the seal. Had to replace both the crankshaft and the sump on 2 different units (both were v twin engines)

/ Briggs & Stratton Leaking Oil #7  
Does this motor have an oil pump? If yes on some models there is a cover for this pump held on with three or four screws. It is located on the bottom of the engine and could also be leaking.

Roy

/ Briggs & Stratton Leaking Oil
Thanks for all the suggestions - I got the mower back to my place yesterday, but have not yet had a chance to have a proper look - will try one evening and keep you posted :)

/ Briggs & Stratton Leaking Oil #9  
I replaced the pan gasket and the shaft seal. Also, replaced the breather seal and the cover gasket and still have a small leak. The larger leak has been contained, but the smaller leak showed up when I started mowing again. Any ideas?