Garden electric fence?

/ Garden electric fence? #1  

MNBobcat

Platinum Member
Hi All,

I searched on "Fence" and while I there were a lot of results I didn't see anything that looked like what I was wanting to learn about.

We're planting a garden this weekend. We have coyotes, coon, rabbits, deer, etc that I'm sure will all be wanting to chow down on the garden. So....that means I need a fence.

I know how to keep the deer out (fish line).

What I'm wondering about is what type of electric fence I should install to keep the smaller animals - like rabbits, out? I talked to a farmer friend and he said to install bare wire electric fence with one wire about 6 inches off the ground and then 2 more wires higher up. What I'm wondering, is that a better choice than some kind of wire mesh fencing? Do you use the single strands or the mesh?

/ Garden electric fence? #2  
48” welded wire fence will keep out everything except climbers, like coon. A single strand of electric wire at the top will help keep them out. No sense in spending the money for a roll of barb wire, it wouldn’t work any different than a $5 roll of regular wire.

/ Garden electric fence? #3  
I use 16" high panels made with treated 2x2's, 1/2" thin-wall conduit & chicken wire to keep the rabbits out, top it with a double electric wire if needed for squirrels & coons. ~~ grnspot

Attachments

• HPIM2074.JPG
    HPIM2074.JPG
    59.4 KB · Views: 507