Zero turn mowers on hills

/ Zero turn mowers on hills #11  
i would not take a chance using a Zmower on a hill that lands you in a stream. depending on the slope and conditions, it can loose traction and there is nothing you can do at that point. i have a JD 997 and once that back end gets going you're not in control...ask me how I know.

i have hills and tree lined drive. i invested in a "walk-behind" 54" deck for all my hills and tree trimming. i can practically mow sideways with this thing by counter steering the drive wheels...and if i loose traction...i'm not "on" it!

/ Zero turn mowers on hills
Thanks to everyone for their input. My concern is that I will get the thing home and not be able to mow the hills. I really want a Ferris Procut S but they are way out of my price range and hard to find used.

/ Zero turn mowers on hills #13  
i would not take a chance using a Zmower on a hill that lands you in a stream. depending on the slope and conditions, it can loose traction and there is nothing you can do at that point. i have a JD 997 and once that back end gets going you're not in control...ask me how I know.

i have hills and tree lined drive. i invested in a "walk-behind" 54" deck for all my hills and tree trimming. i can practically mow sideways with this thing by counter steering the drive wheels...and if i loose traction...i'm not "on" it!

That's the difference between a mid mount and a front mount ZTR. There is a huge difference on hills. Honestly, there is no comparison on hills. On reasonably flat land without inside corners to mow, a lake to mow out over or pine trees/shrubs to mow under, there isn't any difference. If there are any of the items I mentioned, that's where a front mount shines. Oh, I forgot, the front mount mowers ride even better than the Ferris mowers I owned with suspension. It's just a completely different design; more expensive as well.

/ Zero turn mowers on hills #15  
I share the concerns of the members of this forum, so I built this:
4WDZTRShortclip.m4v - YouTube

This is the prototype and costs more than ztr mowers do, but soon it will take skid steer attachments, including mowers.

I hope you enjoy the video.

Regards,

Towles

/ Zero turn mowers on hills #16  
This is what I bought to tackle my hilly property:
eR8rW.jpg
5IcAN.jpg

Not cheap, and not quite zero turn but it sticks to hills like glue and feels safe doing so (plus the ROPS is there as a last resort). Unfortunately you can't get Kubota GF1800's anymore in the US, but they still sell them in Canada. I also paid extra to get OEM axle extensions on the front which give me an extra 7" width to increase stability on hills. Because of the front mower you can nose down a deep slope and reverse back up again (in 4WD). I've had it nosed down a 35 degree ditch, only the seatbelt holding me in the seat, and it backs up the hill with the mower running like a champ. I've put my GF1800 in places that ZTRs would get hopelessly and dangerously stuck and the front mower can go places lawn tractors can't. ZTR's may have stolen the limelight for fast cutting and maneuverability but front mounts still have their place. I've gone from 3 hours cutting time using an old Kubota diesel lawn tractor down to 2. All the while it barely sips diesel.

/ Zero turn mowers on hills #17  
Yes, I have come to realize that those front mounts do a lot better on hills than zero turns. As I recall, however, they are signigicantly more expensive than the Kubota ZT mowers, which are already at the top of the cost list.

I have one hill here where the ZT can only cut by backing down it. Other spots I have to use the old B2710 tractor. I've accidently gotten the ZT stuck against the fence a couple of times. I had to get the RTV-900 with it's winch to pull the ZT free.

Ken

/ Zero turn mowers on hills #18  
Yes, I have come to realize that those front mounts do a lot better on hills than zero turns. As I recall, however, they are signigicantly more expensive than the Kubota ZT mowers, which are already at the top of the cost list.

I have one hill here where the ZT can only cut by backing down it. Other spots I have to use the old B2710 tractor. I've accidently gotten the ZT stuck against the fence a couple of times. I had to get the RTV-900 with it's winch to pull the ZT free.

Ken

Yes, they are expensive but what sealed the deal for me is that I can mount a snowblower on the front and also tow stuff around the yard where ZTs are pretty much single purpose. Also, the GF should last me 20+ years, my old Kubota lawn tractor I inherited when I bought this place was 15 years old, mechanically it was fine but the rust got to it. Trust, me I wanted a ZT, but I have the hilliest property in the neighbourhood, plus 600 feet of ditch to cut.

/ Zero turn mowers on hills #19  
GF's are cool!! Expensive , but cool.

As you said, they are multipurpose machines. Also commercial grade, which also means not cheap.

/ Zero turn mowers on hills #20  
My Woods front mount was made by Grasshopper from what I can see and have been told. It does handle hills pretty well though I really should have the ropes and a seat belt when I want to go straight down hill.

My only issue on hills is the Carlisle tires loading up with mud and spinning. I have been thinking of going with either a lug tire or a set of dual narrow tires to increase my ground contact but stay within the 60" deck width. A friend just put some serious ATV lug tires on his Dixie Chopper. So far so good he says. I want to see if the increased tire lug causes any pump issues.

I don't know about using a compact 4x4 to mow slopes. I used to have a Massey that would basically make my hair stand up if I attempted to mow on much of a slope.

I have one area to mow on a pasture that is pretty much akin to a soup bowl slope wise. I was out there just today mowing not only going sideways with the Woods front mount but also pulling my Swisher behind me.

The only issue with the caster wheels I have is they take a beating on my front mount. Coming up on 400 hours and I need to replace them a second time. The run flat tires wore through on the first set. I replaced them with an aftermarket set I jury rigged to match up but the axles have worn out.