What kind of Lawn Tractor

/ What kind of Lawn Tractor #1  

Anonymous Poster

I am in the market for a new lawn tractor. I have 1 1/2 acres, partial hilly (not steep) a little wet spring area, all grass and some big trees. I want at least a 42 inch cut, hydrostatic with foot control, at least 18 hp. I'd prefer to keep it under $3000. I've looked at the Simplicity. Nice mower, Kohler Pro engine and priced at $3299. Little high. Also looked at Sears. High end Lawn Tractor, 20 hp., 42 inch cut, plastic hood, but the sale price is $2299. Have also looked at the Cub Cadet and John Deere at Home Depot and Lowes. Does anyone have a recommendation and comments on any of these, other makes and models I should look at and what to stay away from.

/ What kind of Lawn Tractor #2  
Well, I have a JD LX255, which has all the features you're looking for (HST, 42" deck, etc.), although I think my motor is rated by JD at 16HP. HOW-ever...my neighbor has a Sears tractor that is rated at 20HP, and I've spent a fair amount of time on that seat. My JD will out power his Sears any day (and he agrees with me).

I'm on 10 acres and I use a Kubota tractor with a brush hog for most of the grass. Near the house I use the JD, and it does a really nice job doing finish mowing. Every now and then I decide to mow some more stuff when I'm done with the yard and I take it out into the areas that I usually use the bigger tractor for. This usually means that I will be sharpening the blades soon... /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

The JD performs like a champ. It isn't 4WD, and has turf tires so there are times that I lose traction, but I never run out of power, even when plowing through deep grass (a foot or more). The mower will sometimes bog down on me (it is a 42" deck), but has never stalled the motor.

We use that thing all the time - at least as much, if not more than the Kubota. When we aren't mowing (and we have about 1/2 acre of "finish mowing" that has to be done at least once a week), we use it to haul a wagon for firewood, mulch, gardening, kids... even use it to go visit the neighbors (long walk, up hill /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif).

Can I say anything more nice about my JD lawn tractor? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Oh, I don't remember the exact price - it was a lot more than a Sears machine, but has some features that the other one doesn't, like a solid front axle, and stuff like that. But I think it falls within your price range, and there are other JDs that are less expensive (but may not meet your other requirements).

/ What kind of Lawn Tractor #3  
Well I have a BX2200 that replaced my Simplicity Sovern and the one thing I miss about that tractor is the cut. Nothing produces a better cut than a Simplicity absolutely nothing. I would go with a Simplicity sized for your needs, most likely a Landlord. JD are nice but too expensive and will never cut as good as Simplicity. Simplicity is also a very well made tractor you won't be disappointed.

/ What kind of Lawn Tractor #4  
Now is there anything else you want to do with the tractor? I you have any plans to haul a heavy cart, snow blow, or use a plow blade, I would look to a garden tractor. A little more money, but a lot tougher. Just a thought.

/ What kind of Lawn Tractor #5  
I have a 20 hp kohler in a craftsman with 84 hours and am happy with it. Had a Murry which cut good but had tecumseh engine(stay away). I understand all JD mowers are now made in Mexico which might explain why prices have dropped.

/ What kind of Lawn Tractor #6  
I don't think you have too many of your "facts" straight.

/ What kind of Lawn Tractor #7  
<font color="blue"> JD are nice but too expensive and will never cut as good as Simplicity. </font>

Expensive? Yes. But I have to argue about the cut. I get really good results from mine. Don't have a Simplicity around to compare it to but I can't see how you'd be able to get a better cut than I do.

/ What kind of Lawn Tractor #8  
If you had a Simplicity you would indeed see the difference. My neighbor has a new JD and would come over and tell me how he made the mistake of getting the JD because of how perfect my lawn was cut using the Simplicity. Don't get me wrong, the JD is a nice machine but the cut is not as good.

/ What kind of Lawn Tractor #10  
Well, as they say, ignorance is bliss /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif. I'll just continue to be happy with looking at how much better of a cut I get than my neighbor's Sears tractor /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif...