Help..Which garden tractor Craftsman-Bolens-Huskee

/ Help..Which garden tractor Craftsman-Bolens-Huskee #1  

Anonymous Poster

The three choices are for garden tractors are...

Craftsman $2399
- 21 hp - 50 inch cut - 6 speed trans

Bolens $1899
- 23 hp - 46 inch cut - manual trans with hi-low gear

Huskee $1999
- 23 hp - 46 inch cut - auto trans with hi-low gear

All are B&S motors

Right now, it is the Huskee that I am leaning towards because of the transmission.

Any comments?

Thanks
Ken H.

/ Help..Which garden tractor Craftsman-Bolens-Huskee #2  
I really like HST - is this the same thing?

I've got a B/S motor in my JD lawn tractor and it works just fine. I'd say go for the one that you think drives the best and provides the best cut (might be tough to do "test drives", but if you can, go for it).

/ Help..Which garden tractor Craftsman-Bolens-Huskee #3  
Since your a guy that likes to tinker, look for an older model Cub Cadet (129, 1250, etc. hydrostatics) Parts are still easily available, they'll do all that you want, built heavy duty and you can find them reasonably priced. ebay cub cadet

/ Help..Which garden tractor Craftsman-Bolens-Huskee #4  
Re: Help..Which garden tractor Craftsman-Bolens-Hu

Do the ones with the manual transmission have a regular style clutch or do they use a V belt drive tensioner type system. These may be very cheap to fix versus the auto transmision.

Also consider the thickness off frame and deck material and the engine service rating. Look at the ease with which the mower can be removed to sharpen blades. Consider turning radius.

And most important: Which just feels better when you sit on it.
Chances are there is very little difference between the three models.

Egon

/ Help..Which garden tractor Craftsman-Bolens-Huskee #5  
I'm not sure how you narrowed it to those three. Personally, I'd go with a hydrostatic transmission, and I know you can get a Craftsman with the HST for the same money (actually for less than the price you've given).

/ Help..Which garden tractor Craftsman-Bolens-Huskee #6  
Ken,

I bought a Craftsman GT3000 w/ the 6-speed a year ago and couldn't be happier. I replaced a Case 446 hydro with it. While the hydro had some nice features when mowing, it wasn't worth a spit when hooked up to ground engaging attachments. If your planning to "mow only" go with the hydro. If you intend to use it in your garden, you might want to consider the 6-speed.

/ Help..Which garden tractor Craftsman-Bolens-Huskee #7  
Ken,
If by "HUSKEE" you mean Husqvarna - they are the same as the current Craftsman. You should be able to see the similarities.
If you mean Huskee sold at TSC or other hardware stores I think those are MTD made. The Bolens may be MTD made as well.

If you visit The Garden Web tractors you will get lots of help on LTs and GTs.
I lurk there but don't post as I had trouble with spam. Still some good info.

Phil

/ Help..Which garden tractor Craftsman-Bolens-Huskee #8  
Compare the front suspension / steering components and look for the heaviest duty one.

As I recall you're planning to mow quite a bit of acerage and it may not all be smoothly finished urban lawn.

My Craftsman has cast front end components (as opposed to stamped sheet metal) and has stood up very well to top-speed mowing of my 3.5 acres of ex pasture for going on four seasons now. Some of my neighbor's MTDs had stamped front end components and didn't make it very long.

/ Help..Which garden tractor Craftsman-Bolens-Huskee
I also have a lot of grass to mow, Five yrs ago I bought a 22.5 HP Craftsman w/ 50" cut that I mow about 3 acres with (have 5 altogether). which was a corn field before we built there. Allthough it does a very nice job, it sure is rough mowing with that little tractor!
So this winter I purchased a big tractor to mow the majority of the property with. I got an antique, a 1947 Farmall A with a 5' belly mower.
If you have lots of rough ground to cover, do yourself a favor and get a big tractor. Not only are they more comfortable, they will cut mowing time, and can stand up to the job longer and more economically.
Paid about half for the Farmall (which is in excellent condition) that I paid for the Craftsman. And the old tractors are REALLY easy to work on and parts are readily available, even from the dealer.
Here's a link to a photo of my recent purchase:
http://www.dragonbbs.com/members/tedcurtsinger/Farmall%2001.jpg
I like my Craftsman, but these little guys weren't designed to take care of massive plots of ground. Mine is going to enjoy its semi-retirment, having only to mow the front and back yards this summer! If you have more than two acres, you really need to consider more than a garden tractor.
Good luck to you with whatever you decide to go with!
Ted