Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Tractor
    Kubota B2620

Default Re: Can I cut this with a lawn tractor?

Renting is a good idea but I don't have a trailer big enough to get a tractor to the property. HA! Yes, I'm kind of stuck.

Tractor
    jd 1070

Cut it wih your mower. Walk it first to remove stones, sticks and metal debris. Take it slow and don't be in a hurry.
    There is no "I" in team, but there is a "Me" if you want to jumble it up a bit...

Tractor
    MF 1635 12x12 Powershuttle

Do like others have said, raise it, keep your eyes peeled for rocks and the like, and you will be fine.
    Thanks,

Will

I do not care if someone's net nanny is watching!! You need to stop...

Tractor
    Kioti DK-40, MF-135, Ventrac 4500Y

Get a Simplicity, those machines will work..
    Murph ------------

Tractor
    John Deere 3720

Quote Originally Posted by dablack View Post
    I'm looking at nice used riding lawn mowers with a 48" deck for around $1k. Having it brushhogged one time would cost around $500. I would hate to blow that kind of money ($500) if I don't have to.

thanks
    Austin
    How much did you plan on mowing. I hope not 30 acres. If it was a couple acres or so and if there aren't any stumps sticking up or anything bigger than 3/4 " I would mow it with the deck up. If I would find that it is easier going I would drop the mower more. It doesn't look very heavy to me. I understand mower's are different, but I cut very heavy marsh grass and weeds 5' high and with a good sized diesel garden tractor. I have to go through first slowly with the deck high and then I can lower it and go through again.
    I would not pay $500 to cut from what I saw in those pictures, unless there are so many stones and tree ruts sticking up I can't see. Renting would be nice, but if you tear somebody elses equipment up through abuse, you are liable for damages.
    If you have to do the whole 30 acres every month or so, a little garden tractor will never do it.
    JD 3720 with R4s
    X740

Tractor
    Kubota B2620

Oh no! Not the whole 30 acres. Only about 15 of it is to be cut. I know that is a whole lot and I'm not always going to do it with a lawn tractor. I would eventually like to get a tractor and a 6' brush hog. then I can just use the lawn tractor for around the house and along the drive.

thanks
    Austin

Tractor
    MF 1643

Ok here is my 2 cents on theis idea. take your riding mower out to the area, and give it a try first. and if you get it done with the mower then great.
    Next if it doesn't work out then try renting. around here a tractor and brush cutter is around $190.00 for 8 hrs. of work, some rental yards will deliver and pick it back up for a small fee.
    And good luck.
    david

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    CT235

I rented a walk behind rotary brush cutter one time. Would go through that stuff like nothing. If I remember the cutting width was 36" or so.
    Tim.

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L3540 HTSC-3

Ouch, my vote is for renting. My best guess is your looking at 16-18 hrs of cutting time easy with a small ride on. Heck, it takes me 1.5 hrs to to over 2 acres on a 24hp diesel ride on with a 60" deck, and thats manicured lawn. Chime in if my time est seems wrong. But if you have the time...
    2010 Kubota L3540 HTSC-3 w/R3's, 2002 John Deere X595, Woods GB72 Box Blade, Woods PL72 Core Aerator, Kubota Ballast Box, CL4 Forks, Befco 209 3pt Spreader 3pt Trailer hitch, JD spreader, JD Dethatcher, Jd Power Bagger, Stihl MS361, 024 saws, TS400 cut off, BR 380 blower and an Echo PPT 280 polesaw

Tractor
    Kubota B2620

Ok guys. I called my 71 year old dad (looks 85) and asked if he still had the old riding mower he had last time I was up there. He did still have it and said I could have it. They haven't cut their own yard in years. They are two hours north of me so I will most likely pick it up this weekend and give it a try. It is most likely a western auto special but that will be fine for trying it out and the price can't be beat. Then I can start saving up for a real tractor and trailer. It will at least let me know what I'm up against. If it is a huge failure, I will most likely find a ford NAA or 8N and a five foot brush hog.

thanks
    Austin

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast