Can I cut this with a lawn tractor?

/ Can I cut this with a lawn tractor? #1  

dablack

Tractor
Kubota B2620
Ok, we just picked up 30 acres just south of rusk. I am a green city slicker. I know eventually I will need a tractor and brushhog but for now, if I raised the deck, could I mow this with a riding lawn mower. I has been brush hogged many times before, but it needs a little attention now.

We will be improving the "road" and building a small house over the next year.

thanks
Austin

Attachments

• 11 07 11 290.jpg
    11 07 11 290.jpg
    428.6 KB · Views: 869
  • 11 07 11 325.jpg
    11 07 11 325.jpg
    491.6 KB · Views: 795
   / Can I cut this with a lawn tractor?
Here are a couple more shots. Yes, it is very hilly.

thanks
Austin

Attachments

• 11 07 11 294.jpg
    11 07 11 294.jpg
    447.8 KB · Views: 602
  • 11 07 11 303.jpg
    11 07 11 303.jpg
    602.2 KB · Views: 716
   / Can I cut this with a lawn tractor? #3  
Congratulations, I'd have to have a "rat" rider to subject to that kind of rough mowing. To start have you considered an old Gravely, maybe with a riding sulky - Gravely's bridged the gap from start to CUT ownership and I still use them for trail mowing, cultivating and snow blowing.

/ Can I cut this with a lawn tractor? #4  
If your pics show the worst of it, I'd have a go at it with my rider if it was mine. Deck at its highest setting, take your time, I don't think you'd have any serious problems. It doesn't look too thick.

/ Can I cut this with a lawn tractor? #5  
Another possibility -- hire someone to bushhog the area a few times over the next year or so. This will help to get rid of the larger weeds by preventing their reseeding and allow any grass to recover. You may then be able to maintain the area with a riding mower.

Steve

/ Can I cut this with a lawn tractor? #6  
I mowed my 7 ac of pasture for a long time with a 21 hp Craftsman lawn tractor,as that was all I had. Raised the deck all the way and it took two-4 hr days to get it all done. About 4 hrs on the lawn tractor was about all the beating I could take.

Got a new tractor Nov 2010 and with the drought this summer only had to shred one time, not enough seat time, but it's sure a lot more fun with the Bota.

Charlie

/ Can I cut this with a lawn tractor?
I'm looking at nice used riding lawn mowers with a 48" deck for around $1k. Having it brushhogged one time would cost around $500. I would hate to blow that kind of money ($500) if I don't have to.

thanks
Austin

/ Can I cut this with a lawn tractor? #8  
Riding mower will do it. Bouncy ride maybe! I've done stuff like this often. Turns it into a nice lawn! if you keep up with it.

/ Can I cut this with a lawn tractor? #9  
OOhhhh the belts blades back going to take it hard..I'd go w/Steve idea.

/ Can I cut this with a lawn tractor? #10  
If it were me I would check to see what it would cost to rent a tractor with a bush hog for a day. My Dad has used his L110 JD to mow the hard to get spots in our fields and it beats the heck out of the deck. I would save the $$$ for a lawn tractor and repair bills and rent a tractor until you can buy a tractor.:) Just my opinion.