Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast
    Tractor
    Kubota B2620

Default Can I cut this with a lawn tractor?

Ok, we just picked up 30 acres just south of rusk. I am a green city slicker. I know eventually I will need a tractor and brushhog but for now, if I raised the deck, could I mow this with a riding lawn mower. I has been brush hogged many times before, but it needs a little attention now.

We will be improving the "road" and building a small house over the next year.

thanks
    Austin
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Can I cut this with a lawn tractor?-11-07-11-290.jpg   Can I cut this with a lawn tractor?-11-07-11-325.jpg  

Tractor
    Kubota B2620

Default Re: Can I cut this with a lawn tractor?

Here are a couple more shots. Yes, it is very hilly.

thanks
    Austin
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Can I cut this with a lawn tractor?-11-07-11-294.jpg   Can I cut this with a lawn tractor?-11-07-11-303.jpg  

Tractor
    Kioti DK55C

Congratulations, I'd have to have a "rat" rider to subject to that kind of rough mowing. To start have you considered an old Gravely, maybe with a riding sulky - Gravely's bridged the gap from start to CUT ownership and I still use them for trail mowing, cultivating and snow blowing.

Tractor
    Landini 4140 HST

If your pics show the worst of it, I'd have a go at it with my rider if it was mine. Deck at its highest setting, take your time, I don't think you'd have any serious problems. It doesn't look too thick.
    Ian, now retired near Wallace Nova Scotia. 2008 Landini 4140H made by LS Tractors, FEL, toothbar, 6' box blade, bedder, middle buster, 5' Celli tiller, pallet forks, Pat's EC System, loaded tires, 2 rear remotes (standard on the Landini) . I bought my tractor from Cumberland Tractor, www.cumberlandtractor.blogspot.com . See the full story on building my hillside house in Nova Scotia at http://wallaceriver.blogspot.com/

Tractor
    NH TN 55, Kubota RTV 900, Bad Boy Outlaw 61" ZTR

Another possibility -- hire someone to bushhog the area a few times over the next year or so. This will help to get rid of the larger weeds by preventing their reseeding and allow any grass to recover. You may then be able to maintain the area with a riding mower.

Steve

Tractor
    Kubota M7040SU 2010

I mowed my 7 ac of pasture for a long time with a 21 hp Craftsman lawn tractor,as that was all I had. Raised the deck all the way and it took two-4 hr days to get it all done. About 4 hrs on the lawn tractor was about all the beating I could take.

Got a new tractor Nov 2010 and with the drought this summer only had to shred one time, not enough seat time, but it's sure a lot more fun with the Bota.

Charlie
    M7040 SUD,
    LA1153 FEL
    Rino 272 Shredder
    Land Pride 6ft Box Blade
    Hay Spear

Tractor
    Kubota B2620

I'm looking at nice used riding lawn mowers with a 48" deck for around $1k. Having it brushhogged one time would cost around $500. I would hate to blow that kind of money ($500) if I don't have to.

thanks
    Austin

Tractor
    2003 New Holland TC30

Riding mower will do it. Bouncy ride maybe! I've done stuff like this often. Turns it into a nice lawn! if you keep up with it.
    2003 NH TC30, International Agritech 5' Bushhog, Carryall, Camo brush trailer, Gravel gravity dump trailer, International single plow, International disc harrow, Bucket mount Snowbear snowplow, hiller/bedder, Craftsman ZTL 7000, CCRT4, My favorite 20oz hammer I left on the woodpile a month ago.

Tractor
    Kubota L2800HST w/Frontloader & CC LTX1046

OOhhhh the belts blades back going to take it hard..I'd go w/Steve idea.

Padawan Tractor Learner
    Advertiser
    Tractor
    Deere 317 & L118

If it were me I would check to see what it would cost to rent a tractor with a bush hog for a day. My Dad has used his L110 JD to mow the hard to get spots in our fields and it beats the heck out of the deck. I would save the $$$ for a lawn tractor and repair bills and rent a tractor until you can buy a tractor. Just my opinion.
    My Fleet:
    2004 Deere 317 Skid Steer Loader
    66" Construction bucket, imatch QA adapter, CU72 Jake Rake, Middle Buster, 60" Landscape rake, 54"x 48" Pallet forks
    2005 John Deere L118
    42" deck

Check out my rakes: www.Jakesimplements.com

Member of the TBN "Young gun" Club

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast